Asus P8p67 Pro failed Bios flash

felang

Feb 17, 2007
So I've been running a P8P67 PRO + 2600K for about a year. I've had cold boot and RAM issues since the beginning but this morning, it wouldn't even show the Asus splash screen. So, i removed all but one stick of RAM, proceeded to reset the bios and booted into uefi setup. Since obviously my saved settings had been deleted, I mistakenly thought it would be a good time to flash the latest bios (release notes stated improved RAM compatibility, so I thought it might help). So I decide to use Asus EZ flash from within UEFI and proceeded to flash from usb drive, everything seemed to go fine and it asked to restart at the end. When it restarted all I got was a black screen with my usb devices flashing on and off (mouse and kb lights flickering). I left it alone for about 10 min, but then mannualy shut down and now when I restart the vga led stays lit and only get black screen. Ok so I went through all troubleshooting steps I could think of (reset bios jumper, removed battery, switched RAM, switched video card) and nothing has changed. I guess my board is effectively bricked. So here comes my first question...

1. Is their any way to recovery flash the bios or anything like that? I don't believe Asus has dual bios chips or anything like that but I'm not sure

2. In case I have to RMA my board, does Asus ask for a receipt or any proof of purchase? I bought it at a retail store and don't have the receipt.

3. I am currently living in central america, so in order to RMA would probably have to ship the mb to the US via FEDEX and it would probably cost me around $75. Should I just buy a new board locally?

4. If a do buy a new board, would it be worth it at all to go por a Z77, or should I just try to get a P67 used or closeout? Iam not planning on using Quicksync, have never used any USB3 devices, and I think that lucid MVP or whatever it's called is still nowhere near from being useful at all. I run my 2600K at 4.5ghz at 1.25V and am quite happy with that, does Z77 overclock any better than P67? Also, I'm not going to go with dual GPU's ever again so should I just get one ot the entry level boards? Let's say ASUS P8Z77-V LX vs a Sabertooth or PRO, do they overclock about the same?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
YOu could always buy a bios replacement chip. Ebay has them for decent prices, typically around $20.

Doesn't your board allow you to recover your bios from your support cd (crashfree bios)?

felang

Feb 17, 2007
YOu could always buy a bios replacement chip. Ebay has them for decent prices, typically around $20.

Doesn't your board allow you to recover your bios from your support cd (crashfree bios)?

I`ll look into getting the bios replacement chip from ebay, although if I`d need to solder I`ve never really done it before.

I saw a video ofthe crashfree bios feature on ebay, it seems like you get a dos style prompt asking for a bios flash file... i get only a black screen but i`ll try to find more info.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I've probably flashed my ASUS P8P67 PRO 3.0 about 20 times, trying different versions in regards to overclocking. I've not had a single failure.

Also, no coldboot problems. Other than having to disable the Marvell controller when not using any drives on it, to avoid the boot cycling between the Marvell bios and the motherboard bios. However, this is not an issue if one connect a drive to the Marvell controller.

Very happy with my board, so sorry to hear about your problems. Hope it works out.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Does anybody have a recommendation of where to buy a new preflashed bios/uefi chip? Or should I just try to get one from ASUS? I have located the chip but don't know if a special tool is need to remove it.

Last edited:

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
Theres nothing to it
Its an 8 pin DIP chip that presses in a socket
So you lay case on side and get a light shining on the socket - just above top SATA port
Get all cables out of the way.
The you use needle nose pliers and pluck it out like pulling a toorh
Straight up - not on an angle, pliers centered on chip - not near corners
You put your new chip in with shiny half circle end down (only goes in one way), and make sure if legs are not vertical from shipping method (ASUS), that you make them all 90 degrees to body all in a row.
Your biggest prob is getting it shipped to you, most folks dont build a computer in a 200 foot high tree in El Salvador.

http://bios-repair.co.uk/Programmed-BIOS/Asus/LGA1155-Asus.html

http://www.biosmaster.co.uk/asus

http://www.biosflash.com/e/BIOS-Chips-ASUS.htm?pages=6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P8P67-...aptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item3f164d83fe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASUS-P8P67-PRO-/260869162450?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3cbd0385d2

Of course, if you know someone in U.S. he can order one from ASUS E Store and ship it to you
$15 plus $7 ship

Be careful P67 mobo chips are 4MB and Z68 are 8MB
And correct rev # for your mobo
Some vendors are programming 4MB P67 bios on a 8MB bios chip. Causes MEI loss after flash - for me anyways.
Make sure chip is correct for mobo
Z68
W25Q64BV
P67
W25Q32BV

B2 rev mobo with defective SATA ports dont flash
You snooze you lose.

But if you were already having issues, maybe a Z77 is best afterall

Last edited:

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Theres nothing to it
Its an 8 pin DIP chip that presses in a socket
So you lay case on side and get a light shining on the socket - just above top SATA port
The you use needle nose pliers and pluck it out like pulling a toorh
Straight up - not on an angle
You put your new chip in with circle side down, and make sure if legs are not vertical from shipping method, that you make them all 90 degrees to body all in a row.
Your biggest prob is getting it shipped to you, most folks dont build a computer in a 200 foot high tree in El Salvador.

http://bios-repair.co.uk/Programmed-BIOS/Asus/LGA1155-Asus.html

http://www.biosmaster.co.uk/asus

http://www.biosflash.com/e/BIOS-Chips-ASUS.htm?pages=6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-P8P67-...aptopMotherboards_CPUs_CA&hash=item3f164d83fe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-ASUS-P8P67-PRO-/260869162450?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3cbd0385d2

Of course, if you know someone in U.S. he can order one from ASUS E Store and ship it to you
$15 plus $7 ship

Be careful P67 mobo chips are 4MB and Z68 are 8MB
And correct rev # for your mobo

But if you were already having issues, maybe a Z77 is best afterall

Thanks for the info, very helpful... I actually ordered the replacement chip directly from Asus, will see how it goes and will update the thread update once I get it. If not then I guess I´ll go ahead and buy an entry level z77 seeing as I don´t require SLI or plan to do any extreme overclocking, Asrock boards in general seem to be quite inexpensive and feature packed, although I am partial to ASUS.

Last edited:

bankster55

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2010
wow, I guess peeps in tree houses dont have a sense of humor
I pretty much quit posting in AT forums just because of this off the wall stuff. You try and help someone and they spit in your face, call you an a-hole.
Nice..

Who needs it
Right?

Hot deals is good enough for all my visits - heh

UPDATE: seems as tho he has edited out his nastiness

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Bios chip should be arriving tomorrow or the next day...

Good luck, I had this issue once and I managed to fix it by finding someone with a motherboard that matched mine and using that CHIP. I hate BIOS flashing...always afraid of something happening lol

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Good luck, I had this issue once and I managed to fix it by finding someone with a motherboard that matched mine and using that CHIP. I hate BIOS flashing...always afraid of something happening lol

How did you reflash your chip? Did you "hot swap" or something?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
How did you reflash your chip? Did you "hot swap" or something?

Yeah, had to hot flash it. Started up with good chip, swapped to bad chip, flashed and then shut down and plugged everything back in. Sold the mobo after I was done.

Abit was dead and I got the motherboard cheap enough since it had a couple bad SATA ports. Didn't matter to who I sold it to after I was done, they only wanted it for a cheap email/WP box.

Lucky for you, this is unnecessary. All you gotta do is swap the chip and start up.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
Just to let you guys know that I installed the new BIOS chip I purchased form Asus estore and it booted up fine.

ogpala

Sep 30, 2013
felang, Did you use a special tool to pull the BIOS Chip?
OK I found your answer in another thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

sjabraha

Dec 28, 2013
I thought I would add my experience since I just went thru the same painful experience as Felang. After the failed bios update, I fully expected the CrashFree Bios Utility to kick in, but it wouldn't for some time. I even inserted the motherboard suppord DVD and a flash drive with the 2nd most recent flash update (the most recent was what initially failed so I didn't redownload it) hoping these would be identified by the system and initiate CrashFree Bios to kick in. But nothing.

So I went ahead and ordered a new bios chip thinking that my current one was permanently disabled. In the meantime, I decided to try one more thing which was to disconnect all of my hard drives, leaving only my DVD player and video card (as well as other non-consequential peripeherals like the fan) attached. Next I reinserted flash key and restarted the machine and all of sudden the machine recognized the drive and allowed me to re-flash the bios file. After doing that, I shutdown the machine and only connected the hard drive with Windows installed on it. I restarted and it all of sudden windows was loading.

What I had realized was that boot order had changed when I flashed the bios the first time and this was causing my screen to go blank during the initial boot up. After disconnecting all of the drives, re-flashing the bios and sequentially adding the drives back (starting with the drive containing windows), I was able to reset the boot order correctly.

I wanted to post this to save anyone else the week of research and lost time I had to go thru to fix my issue.

Blamblooga

Dec 25, 2013
So I've been running a P8P67 PRO + 2600K for about a year. I've had cold boot and RAM issues since the beginning but this morning, it wouldn't even show the Asus splash screen. So, i removed all but one stick of RAM, proceeded to reset the bios and booted into uefi setup. Since obviously my saved settings had been deleted, I mistakenly thought it would be a good time to flash the latest bios (release notes stated improved RAM compatibility, so I thought it might help). So I decide to use Asus EZ flash from within UEFI and proceeded to flash from usb drive, everything seemed to go fine and it asked to restart at the end. When it restarted all I got was a black screen with my usb devices flashing on and off (mouse and kb lights flickering). I left it alone for about 10 min, but then mannualy shut down and now when I restart the vga led stays lit and only get black screen. Ok so I went through all troubleshooting steps I could think of (reset bios jumper, removed battery, switched RAM, switched video card) and nothing has changed. I guess my board is effectively bricked. So here comes my first question...

1. Is their any way to recovery flash the bios or anything like that? I don't believe Asus has dual bios chips or anything like that but I'm not sure

2. In case I have to RMA my board, does Asus ask for a receipt or any proof of purchase? I bought it at a retail store and don't have the receipt.

3. I am currently living in central america, so in order to RMA would probably have to ship the mb to the US via FEDEX and it would probably cost me around $75. Should I just buy a new board locally?

4. If a do buy a new board, would it be worth it at all to go por a Z77, or should I just try to get a P67 used or closeout? Iam not planning on using Quicksync, have never used any USB3 devices, and I think that lucid MVP or whatever it's called is still nowhere near from being useful at all. I run my 2600K at 4.5ghz at 1.25V and am quite happy with that, does Z77 overclock any better than P67? Also, I'm not going to go with dual GPU's ever again so should I just get one ot the entry level boards? Let's say ASUS P8Z77-V LX vs a Sabertooth or PRO, do they overclock about the same?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases.

I bricked my Asrock 970 PRO 3 and had to order a replacement BIOS chip off of E-Bay for $20. Just look at the orientation of your current BIOS chip and replicate that when you replace it with the new chip.

You shouldn't have any problems getting into the UEFI after that.