ASUS P8H61-M No Post

chedrz

Sep 6, 2006
Hey folks, I'm having some big issues with a build right now. I'm currently on my second ASUS P8H61-M board for this build, the first had a faulty RAM slot. Just got my replacement board, and now it won't POST. The RAM is fine, I've tested it on another motherboard. PSU is good too, checked that on another computer.

At first the computer wasn't passing POST, then it wouldn't even turn on. I unscrewed the motherboard and then it came on again but still wouldn't pass POST. Is it possible that something on this board is grounding and not allowing it to boot into Windows? The other option is to go buy a 1GB stck of DDR3 to test instead of the 2GB sticks I have.

What do you guys think? Keep messing around and seeing is something's grounding somewhere, or try to get some other DDR3 to get into the BIOS and see what's going on?

Specs:
ASUS P8H61-M
Antec Earthwatts 380W
Core i3 2100
4GB Corsair DDR3 (2x2GB)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Do a minimal install outside the case. Use just one stick of ram, GPU and, do not plug in your HDD or any other drives/peripherals. Make sure the one stick of ram is in the correct slot for that configuration. Check your case connectors for proper orientation to pin one. Look for the embossed triangle one each plug, do not depend on the cable labels. Once you get it to boot, shut down and add ONE more stick of ram. Wash, rinse repeat until it posts with everything connected outside the box THEN, install it in the box.

chedrz

Sep 6, 2006
I stripped it down to nothing and it's still not passing POST. Tried clearing the CMOS, but that didn't help either.

chedrz

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, I did. Everything was completely out of the case and I still couldn't get anything going.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Is your PSU working? Do the case fans spin? Do you have both the 24-pin EATX Power connector and the 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector connected?

chedrz

Sep 6, 2006
As stated in the OP, I've tested the PSU in another computer and it's fine. I've checked and re-checked all the power connectors, and everything's plugged in.

No components have been changed from the first time I had this computer running with the first bad motherboard. The only thing that's been replaced is the motherboard, and it's the same model as the first board.

Last edited:

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
Can you install the ram in another pc and run a mem test on it? The possibilities that both ram sticks are bad isn't very likely, but you never know how the original bad mobo ram slot may have effected either one or both. So I think your idea of trying a new DDR3 stick may be a good one.

chedrz

Sep 6, 2006
Well, I got the PC running. One RAM stick isn't working, but I'm willing to take that loss at this point. One of the case stand-offs was shorting out the board so I removed it, and now everything's functional. I'm actually typing from the PC right now. Thanks for the help guys. If I hadn't assembled everything outside the case, I probably never would have known what the problem was.