Asus P5Q Deluxe, XP 64-bit and AHCI/SATA problem

BerlinCB

Jun 11, 2008
I tried to install XP 64-bit on my new system... Asus P5Q Deluxe w/ Velociraptor drive.

First try it went through driver section of load and then when it went to "Starting Windows", it gave me a stop error 0x0000007B.

Second try I used nLite to create a custom XP 64-bit .ISO disc with what I thought was the proper SATA driver for the P5Q board. It is telling me that the driver is not 64-bit (even though I downloaded the 64-bit version) and not compatible.

Has anyone experienced this problem? I really want to run these drives in AHCI mode since all I have are high speed SATA drives.

Help or suggestions?

PS - I had to make the custom .ISO disc because I have no floppy drive for the F6 option while loading XP.

jfunk

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
I haven't done any research into this at this point, but just off the top of my head why don't you try installing in IDE mode, then enabling the AHCI driver in Vista post-install, then change it to AHCI in the BIOS.

Should work.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: jfunk
I haven't done any research into this at this point, but just off the top of my head why don't you try installing in IDE mode, then enabling the AHCI driver in Vista post-install, then change it to AHCI in the BIOS.

Should work.

exactly what i did for my xp pro 32 bit.

koolbreezz

Sep 11, 2008
I am having the same problem. I have tried both AHCI and IDE with the 704, 803. and 1306 bios but still receive the same stop message. Anyone else have the same problem?

NotAvalible

Sep 11, 2008
Ok i spent most of the weekend trying to solve this problem. If your lucky http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 that will let you start as Ahci or Raid. You will not be able to switch between Ahci and Raid. Ide mode always works. If the ms page doesn't work its a reinstall of vista with the mode you want selected using the intel matrix driver as a loaded driver. Good Luck and make sure you pick the mode you want.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I installed vista x64 on a velociraptor on an asus p5q deluxe in AHCI mode this weekend, funny coincidence. Before I installed vista, I flashed my bios to 803. The first attempt to install took a really long time doing nothing, so I thought it was stuck and I restarted. The next time it did the same thing but I actually waited and it started to install after like 30 minutes. Another thing to note is that I'm a member of the MSDN network so I used the vista ultimate x64 sp1 iso available to subscribers. I don't know if my copy of vista behaves differently than yours.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
first you need to make sure that RAID is turned off, if it is on then you need RAID driver even if it is not RAID array.

I have P35 board and I have installed XP x64 without problem, when RAID was enabled.

geok1ng

Jun 25, 2008
Originally posted by: postmortemIA
first you need to make sure that RAID is turned off, if it is on then you need RAID driver even if it is not RAID array.

I have P35 board and I have installed XP x64 without problem, when RAID was enabled.

Installing an OS on a soft-driver based RAID seens like a lot of trouble: you need the correct drivers DURING the install and the "floppy only drivers" issue can make things worst.

On ASUS MOBOs the easy RAID feature looks like an excellent solution: create an easy RAID 0 for the operational system, then LATER use the other SATA ports for your planned RAID10 or 5 setup: the RAID 0 of the system will have faster writing speed than a RAID 5 install and you can simply use an external SATA HD for the system weekly backup-a drive image for example: no install hassles and a recovery time of less than 1 hour, AND you get to use both easy SATA ports, leaving the other 5 ports free for any other use.

I am building a P5Q deluxe system for personal use with a $1000 budget (almost limitless on today hardware prices-lol) on the storage system and i am inclined to give up my initial plan of 4x1TB RAID 10 setup for an easy RAID0 system drive of spinpoint or barracudas and use the other ports for 4x1TB RAID 5 + 1 optical BluRAy-HDDVD. But i am not sure that it is the optimal solution.