ASUS P4P800 Deluxe issues

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
I've had nothing but problems with my computer every time I try a clean install. I installed guild wars yesterday and upon trying to run the game I got an error stating my CPU is either overheating (P4 2.8C Northwood w/ H/T, temps 101ºF) or memory error, I've check the memory before and no errors were found (2 sticks of mushkin black line special 2-2-2 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)) I've had to bump the volts on the RAM up to 2.75 to get a clean install (if I don't then the install gets hung up on files not copying)... When I got the MB over a year ago I tried someone elses RAM and had to do the same thing.

Basically I'm wondering what I can do to get my computer operational again. I downloaded the latest bios update from ASUS, unplugged the computer, removed the cmos battery for some time then put it back together and flashed the bios. It says to turn off and back on the system. I do so and I still get the bad bios checksum, message when it turns on...

thanks,
-Gerad

DJMiX

Golden Member
May 31, 2001
If you got this error right after flashing the bios, your bios may have been corrupted.

Never a good thing to flash the bios when your having stability issues.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
I got the error after changing the voltage back to default. AFTER I got the error and could do nothing because of it I flashed it.

edit: aparently it didn't flash I gave it the file that it was searching for after the bad bios checksum message and it didn't change anything. I can't find the program needed to flash.

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
You can follow the instructions on page 2-20 of the manual to clear the CMOS.

After you succeed in getting the PC to post, you need to set the Bios to default values (no overclocking) and run stability benchmarks to figure out if your PSU or CPU or RAM is unstable.

Edit:
To upgrade the Bios, use AFUDOS from the ASUS web site.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Navid
You can follow the instructions on page 2-20 of the manual to clear the CMOS.

After you succeed in getting the PC to post, you need to set the Bios to default values (no overclocking) and run stability benchmarks to figure out if your PSU or CPU or RAM is unstable.

Edit:
To upgrade the Bios, use AFUDOS from the ASUS web site.

So I followed the instructions on page 2-20 to the T, I turn it on and hmm, what's that smell.

right in the center of the picture... :
http://www.saintgrw.com/uploads/DSC01901.JPG

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
I am sorry to read that.
I have a P4P800 deluxe and I once had screwed up the Bios so I could not get it to post.
I followed those instructions and I was able to get into the Bios to set everything straight.

I don't understand what could have caused something to burn!!!

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
It's all good, deep down I really hate the computer. I'm partially glad because it gives me a chance to switch back to AMD but on the other side I already have a 2.8GHz P4 that I don't feel like tossing or spending the money to build a new system.

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Is the motherboard under warranty?
ASUS offers a 3-year warranty if I am not mistaken.

SaintGRW

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2001
I got it off newegg, RMA'd the first one. Not sure if I sent in any warranty papers for this or not, I've only had it 1 year. I'm thinking about grabbing one off ebay that's at $42 right now.