Asus non-standard 3 pin fan plug on 9600XT / 9800XT! what type of plug is it?

imported_GLO

Aug 3, 2004
Im trying to find what type of plug is used with the Asus VGA cards, particularly with the 9600XT and 9800XT. I know its a 3 pin plug but its not the standard 3 pin fan header that is used by everyone else!

Any help is appreciated!
Have a look here! To see if you know what type of plug this is!

Thanks

imported_GLO

Aug 3, 2004
Here is a photo that i took!
My Pic shows the VGA silencer standard 2 pin female plug on the left, and the Asus VGA fan non-standard 3 pin female plug on the right, and you can see the Asus VGA card 3 pin male located on the Asus VGA card.

Ideally, i'd like to find out what type of plug Asus use (and what its called) so i can get another Asus 3 pin female plug and wire it to the standard Male 2 pin fan header, so that the VGA Silencer can plug straight into that. (This way there is no cut wires at all.)

imported_GLO

Aug 3, 2004
ok, i spliced and used a crimp wire connector.

Installed it and the VGA card still works! (phew) but the fan isnt running at all???

imported_GLO

Aug 3, 2004
i believe so, the crimp connectors are clear and it all looks fine, (but who really knows)

Is there any chance that the Asus 9600XT doesnt detect the fan rpm and subsequently cuts power to the fan?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I believe the wires should touch contacts on a +12v molex connector and not the fan connector in the card.

Arctic Cooling use ATI and NVIDIA's standard power plugs. Asus is unfortunately not following ATIs/NVIDIAs solutions and therefore the plug will not fit. You can either cut both plugs and connect the wires correspondingly or you can also get 12 Volt power directly from the PSU. There you have to connect the wires as follows: black with black and red (VGA) with yellow (PSU). The yellow cable from the VGA is an RPM signal, and not required.