Asus new VivoMini barebones.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks. Looks pretty good then. Wonder if it will take Windows 7, and supports CSM boot in BIOS instead of UEFI?

Edit: From the Hexus.net review:
a lack of 4K output may deter potential HTPC buyers with an eye to the future.

Ugh, that's a killer. It's got integrated DP, but still doesn't support 4K? That's HORRIBLY disappointing. I wonder if that can be fixed with a BIOS update? I thought Haswell IGPs could support 4K?

I was thinking of picking one of these up, and then in a year or two, getting a DP 4K 60hz LCD monitor for $300 or so.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
minix has one out that includes windows 8.1 with bing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b00td8mtfy/

video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafvhocx5kg

also, if you don't need ethernet, you can get a model with double the storage for even cheaper: ($130 shipped)

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/voyo...am-64g-rom-wifi-bluetooth---white-341214.html

also, if you don't need ethernet, you can get a model with double the storage for even cheaper: ($130 shipped)

don't need ethernet

don't need ethernet

blasphemer!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
blasphemer!

To be fair:

1. Not many people hardwire at home anymore

2. The new wireless is faster (on paper) than Gigabit hardwire (which is amazing, provided your hardware supports it)

3. You can always get a USB Ethernet adapter if needed (heck, $128 for a box WITH Windows?)

I have a MINIX on order (shipping out in a few days when they arrive on Amazon), so I'm anxious to see how it fares. Their Android units are great set-top boxes, so I think it will be pretty good as a very basic Winbox. I'm always looking for new ideas for Thin Clients because I do a lot of projects with Terminal Server type of stuff. I loathe Wyse; one of these little Atom boxes with Windows 8.1 with Bing may be pretty good locked down in Kiosk mode for running stuff like RDP. On Ethernet, of course ;)

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
I prefer ethernet to wireless. Do wireless signals cause brain cancer, like talking on cell phones too close to your ear for too long? Better not to take the chance.

These tiny desktop things look cool though. I never wanted to lug around a desktop but they may be getting to a point where it makes more sense to go this budget friendly route, I tend to bust my keyboard keys a lot playing games.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Got the MINIX in today. It's awesome! It's like a little Apple TV. Downsides: the built-in SSD is a bit limited (18 gigs free space), it's only 10/100 Ethernet, and the USB ports are 2.0 not 3.0. Upsides: small, doesn't get hot, no fan noise, simple. If you want something beefier (for the same price), get the HP Stream Mini (CPU, RAM, SSD upgradable...basically a super-cheap NUC). Going to order a bunch more of these for various projects!

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I wonder how well one of these would work as a Steam streaming box. I know people are doing it with the Raspberry Pi, seems like this could work as well.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I wonder how well one of these would work as a Steam streaming box. I know people are doing it with the Raspberry Pi, seems like this could work as well.

I'll be testing it for a variety of applications over the next few days (Hyperspin, Plex/KODI, etc.) so if you want me to test anything in particular, let me know! As a locked-down thin client, it is AWESOME! Boots to the kiosk version of RDP in like 15 seconds!

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I'll be testing it for a variety of applications over the next few days (Hyperspin, Plex/KODI, etc.) so if you want me to test anything in particular, let me know! As a locked-down thin client, it is AWESOME! Boots to the kiosk version of RDP in like 15 seconds!

Looking forward to hearing how your tests go.

Honestly I am just looking for something that I can use the Steam in-home streaming feature with to play some simpler games (Platformers, etc.). I was going to repurpose an old desktop, but a little box like this would be much nicer. I could dual use this as a Plex client as well.