• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Asus motherboards: video beep error when monitor is off

taisingera

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2005
I notice this problem on my new Asus H470m-plus csm motherboard using Intel graphics in i3 10100. When I turn the monitor on and the light is white, then turn the PC on, no error codes. But if I turn PC on before the monitor, or if monitor light is orange, then I get the 1 Long and 3 Short beeps (Asus indicates anomaly with graphics chip), but the PC boots anyway.

Update: I just tried turning PC on with the orange light on monitor as well as monitor totally off, and I didn't get the error code.

Anybody have this on other Asus boards or other brands?

Last edited:

Leeea

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2020
Cool!

I would argue that it is not an error, the mainboard is accurately reporting the non-function of the display subsystem :).

I am more familiar with computers throwing the code and refusing to start if the monitor is not plugged in. Specifically on XP era DELLs.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is not entirely abnormal or unexpected.

IMO, just leave the monitor "on", it will go to sleep are go into a low-power mode when the PC is shut off.

Reactions: damian101

ASK THE COMMUNITY