Asus MB with 3 hard drives

Dyflam

Mar 2, 2000
I have an Asus A8S-X MB and am having a problem configuring hard drives. I have a 250Gb SATA drive which has my operating system and two 80Gb EIDE drives for storage and whatnot (left over from old system). I'm having a problem with my system detecting all 3 drives. Should I just be able to boot off the SATA drive and set the 2 EIDE drives to master and slave?

Thanks.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Yes. If you set the two IDE drives on the IDE channel as normal and hook up the SATA as well, I think you may be able to choose which ones it looks for first when booting from hard drive in the BIOS. Make sure you've got the jumpers on the drives set right, either M&S or just leave it on cable select (seeing as it won't matter which is master or slave because neither hold the OS).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I don't know about the A8S-X, but my Asus P4PE has two SATA ports. Neither can be used unless RAID/SATA is enabled in BIOS. It will not enable SATA without RAID. So, in order to use a single SATA drive in the P4PE you have to enable RAID 0 just for that one drive. Quirky - but that is the way it is explained at the Asus website. And that is the way it works on my system.

So, I got tired of dealing with that. Idisabled the mobo SATA/RAID ports and added a SATA PCI card w/o RAID. No more problems.