Asus Maximus VII Impact aftermarket heatsink recommendation

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Hello,

I have an Intel 4790K CPU and i am using the stock HSF. At times, while re-encoding videos, the CPU hits 98c. I have read that this can happen with the stock HSF. I am looking for recommendations for an aftermarket CPU cooler that will fit on the Maximus Impact VII board.

Thank you.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
This really has less to do with budget and more to do with what will fit. Even if you don't want to go with liquid cooling, we'll still need to know what case you have, as well as whether you have ultra low profile RAM.

Fitting an air cooler on an Impact in a compact case can be really difficult. Very few worthwhile upgrades will work.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
I recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper212evo. ~$29 @amazon or newegg. Best damned cooler for the money for cases like yours, comes with 1 pwm fan, with an extra bracket for a 2nd one if needed.

It will be a tight fit, as your case will take coolers up to 170mm high, and the Evo is 165mm...... but it should do the trick quiet well, as I have used it in several similar cases without any problems whatsoever....

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I recommend the CoolerMaster Hyper212evo. ~$29 @amazon or newegg. Best damned cooler for the money for cases like yours, comes with 1 pwm fan, with an extra bracket for a 2nd one if needed.

It will be a tight fit, as your case will take coolers up to 170mm high, and the Evo is 165mm...... but it should do the trick quiet well, as I have used it in several similar cases without any problems whatsoever....

I appreciate your recommendation, but have you seen what the Asus maximus VII Impact looks like? It has the power 'riser' on one side and memory slots on the other. You sure that will fit?

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_IMPACT/

Last edited:

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Well I don't have an impact to compare it to, but I have an Evo in use now on a Maximus HeroVI nottaproblemo.....

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
The 212 Evo is unlikely to work. You only have about 15mm of spacing above the mounting bracket and even less below the socket. Because the width of a 120mm fan alone would put you right up against the expansion boards, you should rule out every air cooler with a larger footprint than the stock cooler. But you could use something like the Noctua NH-L9x65.

Unfortunately, that case has almost zero airflow. It was a serious design flaw, and also effects the GPU (do you have one? - it could be what's overheating your cpu). It was designed almost exclusively for liquid cooling, so that's what you're going to have to use. Something like the corsair H60 would work.

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Have a look at the new Fractal Design Core 500. For the price of a new cooler, you'll have a whole new and better PC.

If you must go really small (which your video card suggests), then something like the Silverstone SG13 is a possibility and certainly much better than what you have.

The absurdity of the Antec 600 design is that the tiny GPU intake vent lines up with few cards on the market, including yours, leading to massive overheating.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The case you have has a provision for a radiator, one of the photos on amazon even shows it.

If you want a different ITX case, I love my 380T. I use a Corsair H100i liquid cooler, my OC'ed 4690K runs cool as can be. The ONLY downside to this case is you are a bit limited on GPU's. Some really long ones won't fit (Such as a Sapphire Tri-X).

The 380T is a bit larger compared to some other ITX cases.

But even with the GPU and CPU fully loaded, it runs fine. I run the radiator as an intake, GPU acts as an intake, and front and rear fans are both exhaust.

EDIT: The stock front fan is an intake, but this caused hot spots in the lower area, and especially where my SSD was. So I put two 120mm fans as exhaust up front, far superior setup. No more hot spots.

Last edited:

Burner27

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I decided I was incurring a little too much $$ (esp after the holidays) to re-vamp my ITX setup. Therefore I had to 'demote' the ITX setup to firewall/router duties(pfsense) with the following changes (all of these parts I already had):

Antec ISK600 case
i3-4160
16GB Ram
Asus Maximus Impact VII Mobo
Corsair CX430 PSU
Kingston V300 120GB SSD

Main Rig is now the following:

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Asus Maximus VII Gene Mobo
32GB Corsair Ram
i7-4790K
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair HX-850 PSU
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970
Samsung 950 Pro 500GB m.2 SSD
Plextor M6e 256GB m.2 SSD
Samsung 850 Pro SATA 512GB SSD

Idle temps are ~ 27c Load temps are now ~65c

I thank you all for your advice, but I think my ITX attempt was doomed to fail on the case alone.

Last edited: