asus maximus v formula OR asrock z77 oc formula

iFati

Feb 17, 2013
i will start from beggining to make me a new pc i go for gaming need advices. sorry for my bad english but i will understand all.

bballkenn

Jan 31, 2013
I will go ASUS all day, on any product. I've had 3 AsRock MOBO's go bad. Now I am not bashing AsRock, but from my experience 3 MOBO's going bad, (All AMD) I won't be trusting your company anymore.

AsRock support is hard to deal with. They literally have I think 1 phone person. I called on separate occasions, and have had the same person answer.

meeshu

Jun 9, 2003
The Asus Maximus V Formula motherboard is the better board of the two motherboards.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
I would not get either ever. Too expensive with too few features for me.

Unless you want a record breaking overclock? Go with a cheaper mid-level board like the Asrock Extreme3, PZ77V-LK, or GA-Z77-DH3 if you want an i5-3570K, or a nice H77 board if you won't overclock at all.

iFati

Feb 17, 2013
but if it is not problem money and i can pay what u think about asus maximus v formula. i think for asus just about name and the desing of that mobo. but pls write if there is really anything bad on maximus v formula

iFati

Feb 17, 2013
thanks a lot i think to that asus is better but all are writing pro asrock thats why i asked this.

iFati

Feb 17, 2013
how do u think when i only go with cpu water cooling without the thermal solution on the maximus v formula?

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
I have the MVF and have had no problems. 3 months now.

I am using the Corsair H100 for the CPU cooling. The thermal solution is nice, but unless you really overload your system (heavy overclocking) it is not necessary to use water on the thermal. The H100 is of course only for the CPU. But you can have some fun building a nice custom water system that handles the CPU and the thermal.

Last edited:

keylime

Mar 9, 2013
I have the MVF and have had no problems. 3 months now.

I am using the Corsair H100 for the CPU cooling. The thermal solution is nice, but unless you really overload your system (heavy overclocking) it is not necessary to use water on the thermal. The H100 is of course only for the CPU. But you can have some fun building a nice custom water system that handles the CPU and the thermal.

I am curious about the MVF and the corsair H100/H100i. Do you OC? If so what speeds are you getting with the H100 cooling it?

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
I am curious about the MVF and the corsair H100/H100i. Do you OC? If so what speeds are you getting with the H100 cooling it?

I haven't fooled with overclocking much (on this board) - just mild at 4.1 which isn't really much to talk about. Highest temp I see is 144 F during Folding.

I haven't had time to really dig into it and since my fun computer is also my work computer, I have to be careful...

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
The 144 F is on the CPU. The VRM (thermal) I see maybe 104 F under a load. I am sure it would be higher with a heavy overclock. So for me, air cool on the thermal is ok.

If I have a chance to seriously overclock, then I might consider adding water cooling to the thermal. Really I think the water cooled thermal is more of a marketing tool targeted at overclockers / hardcore gamers. But I like all the extras that the ROG boards have, even if I don't use all of them.

keylime

Mar 9, 2013
The 144 F is on the CPU. The VRM (thermal) I see maybe 104 F under a load. I am sure it would be higher with a heavy overclock. So for me, air cool on the thermal is ok.

If I have a chance to seriously overclock, then I might consider adding water cooling to the thermal. Really I think the water cooled thermal is more of a marketing tool targeted at overclockers / hardcore gamers. But I like all the extras that the ROG boards have, even if I don't use all of them.

How is the MVF on board audio compared to an average board? Does it live up to the hype or just another marketing feature?

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
How is the MVF on board audio compared to an average board? Does it live up to the hype or just another marketing feature?
The MVF and my previous board, a Maximus IV Gene-Z both have the fancy on-board audio. I am happy with both. However, without comparing them to a lesser board, I can't really say how much better they are. I wish I could give you a better answer...

iFati

Feb 17, 2013
with those performances uv got do u have trouble with any game ? or anythiing with highest graph?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The NOCTUA|NH-D14 is hands down the best cooler I have run across. Easy to install. Ridiculous cooling and completely silent. Best thing is if there is a hardware failure with the fans, you still have a massive passive heat sink. If a water-cooler fails, you have a hot processor and a wet motherboard. I am so glad that I didn't go with water cooling.

I love the new flash hard drives.

Everything is so snappy on my new machine and DEAD silent. W/o overclocking, I hit the maximum 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index for Windows 7. The two exceptions are on microprocessor and memory where I get a 7.6 and this is because I do absolutely NO overclocking. If I am paying $2K for a rig, I want it to last a long time. My last rig was built in 2006 and lasted these 7 years perfectly. I could still play WOW on very high settings with it. I retired the rig even though it still functions perfectly. It goes to my kids now.

ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4|I5 3570K|8Gx2 GSKILL F3-1600|SSD 240G KHX SH103S3|EVGA GTX670 2G|PSU CORSAIR HX750|INTEL XPI9301CTBL| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4-TI|Creative Labs Soundblaster Zx|Windows 7 Pro

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
The NOCTUA|NH-D14 is hands down the best cooler I have run across. Easy to install. Ridiculous cooling and completely silent. Best thing is if there is a hardware failure with the fans, you still have a massive passive heat sink. If a water-cooler fails, you have a hot processor and a wet motherboard. I am so glad that I didn't go with water cooling.

I love the new flash hard drives.

Everything is so snappy on my new machine and DEAD silent. W/o overclocking, I hit the maximum 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index for Windows 7. The two exceptions are on microprocessor and memory where I get a 7.6 and this is because I do absolutely NO overclocking. If I am paying $2K for a rig, I want it to last a long time. My last rig was built in 2006 and lasted these 7 years perfectly. I could still play WOW on very high settings with it. I retired the rig even though it still functions perfectly. It goes to my kids now.

ASROCK Z77 EXTREME4|I5 3570K|8Gx2 GSKILL F3-1600|SSD 240G KHX SH103S3|EVGA GTX670 2G|PSU CORSAIR HX750|INTEL XPI9301CTBL| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4-TI|Creative Labs Soundblaster Zx|Windows 7 Pro

But loud.