ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z ***HELP***

Chess Gator

Jan 16, 2008
Hello group,

I followed this YOUTUBE.com video to the letter.

I was able to get to 5.0Ghz for my CPU.

However, for the RAM the highest I can go is 1600Mhz!! I have new RAM that can go at 2133Mhz.

So, why will the BIOS not accept a higher level of RAM ??

In the video he wimped out and used 1866Mhz, but I cannot even get that!!

So what is wrong here?

Thank you,

CG :)

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Set "AI Overclock Tuner" to XMP, not manual like the video and your SPD settings should be set automatically. Also, if you are running your system with the settings from the video (ie. 1.50v) dont expect the CPU to last all that long.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
This is why videos scare me, people think they can follow the video, not learn about overclocking, and be safe.

Well, here's a shock for you... the voltage in which you need 5ghz will most likely kill your cpu fast.

But they wont tell ya, infact no one will, because its kinda embarrassing to say you fried a cpu.

Do Overclocking properly, with knowledge... know what things like vcore can do, and what safe vcore is.

Learn about cpu heat habbits... and how to setup a system for proper thermal dissipation.

You have one hell of a board.. i know because i have one the non Z version.
Learn it... people get that board so they can play... not follow a video and then cry when something breaks.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Completely agreed. Far too many people take the risks for granted, and that running stupidly high vcores like 1.45 wont take a toll on their cpu. Whatever though, not my money.

I was just reading another thread somewhere else about a kid running a 1.45 vcore for 6 months , now suddenly getting nonstop bsod's that can't be resolved. Christ.

Also, why the hell would you want to run your memory past 1600? There's basically no tangible performance difference between 1600 and 2133. Anand did some tests a while back and between the two, there was absolutely no difference in real world applications. Are you doing it to be cool or the video told you to?

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
1.5V Vcc and 1.65V Vdimm? D:

I was expecting some noob's youtube vid, not a newegg and Asus sanctioned suicide OC setup.

I really think it is irresponsible of both newegg and asus to have created and published that video. It's only go to end in ruin for many of their lesser experienced customers.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

I was expecting some noob's youtube vid, not a newegg and Asus sanctioned suicide OC setup.

I really think it is irresponsible of both newegg and asus to have created and published that video. It's only go to end in ruin for many of their lesser experienced customers.

The video shows 1.5 vcore and a 5.2ghz overclock. Amazing. I don't whether to laugh or feel bad for OP.

Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Newegg & Asus's collaboration guide to marketing profit
1. Set multiplier to 52x
2. Set RAM frequency to 1866 and adjust timing
3. Set Vcore to 1.5V and RAM at 1.65V
4. ?????
5. KABOOM!!
6. Void warranty
7. PROFIT

Chess Gator

Jan 16, 2008
Hi fellows,

Ummm...Some interesting and paranoid posts. :) The 2600K and Maximus IV are meant for overclocking. With proper kooling, I can run at 5Ghz and 2133Mhz all day long without a problem. Hey, if the CPU blows up...no biggy.... just buy a new one...CPUs are cheap only 300-bones!

Now cheer up...overclock...and enjoy the ride.

Luv,

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Hi fellows,

Some interesting and paranoid posts. The 2600K and Maximus IV are meant for overclocking. With proper kooling, I can run at 5Ghz and 2133Mhz all day long without a problem. Hey, if the CPU blows up...no biggy.... just buy a new one...CPUs are cheap only 300-bones!

Luv,

All day long without a problem? Thanks for clearing that up, especially since most of us have been overclocking for years, and most of us understand what we're doing without watching a youtube video of some clown overclocking to 5.2ghz / 1.5vcore on air.

I certainly admire your attitude about it. If you think your board is designed for 1.5 vcore and 5.2GHZ.....well then I certainly don't feel bad for your irgnorance. Enjoy wasting your money while watching how to videos...while not understanding a damn thing about what you're actually doing.

Last edited:

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Hi fellows,

Ummm...Some interesting and paranoid posts. :) The 2600K and Maximus IV are meant for overclocking. With proper kooling, I can run at 5Ghz and 2133Mhz all day long without a problem. Hey, if the CPU blows up...no biggy.... just buy a new one...CPUs are cheap only 300-bones!

Luv,

What are you doing with that computer that needs that much power? If your an overclocking enthusiast might i suggest reading some tutorial on how to properly overclock rather than copying a predefined setting by someone

Chess Gator

Jan 16, 2008
All day long without a problem? Thanks for clearing that up, especially since most of us have been overclocking for years, and most of us understand what we're doing without watching a youtube video of some clown overclocking to 5.2ghz / 1.5vcore on air.

If you are worried about blowing up your parents computer I understand. However, if you are worried about blowing up your own computer, then "DO NOT OVERCLOCK". This is an overclock forum the motto is: "BALLS TO THE WALLS" ...not..."I AM SCARED I MIGHT DAMAGE MY COMPUTER AND MY ALLOWANCE IS NOT BIG ENOUGH TO AFFORD A NEW ONE". :)

Cheers

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Last edited:

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'll bring some wieners to the barbeque. Nothing tastes better than silicon smoked wieners. :p

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi fellows,

Luv,

I have a MIVE-Z and 2600K.

I have also destroyed a QX6700 by overvolting too much while on phase cooling (-50C)...proper cooling means jack crap if the volts themselves are destroying the chip from within.

My post isn't one of ignorance or paranoia. I know what the MIVE-Z is for and I know how to use it.

Going back to your OP...anyone who finds themselves so ignorant of overclocking their own gear that they are relying on some internet video "How-To" guide to setup their OC is exactly the sort of individual that should not be taking advice from that video when the advice contained in that video is going to destroy your CPU.

On the face of it, it appears to me that you came here to brag about your 5Ghz setup, but none of us are impressed. Any of us here with 2600K's can hit 5GHz, you don't need a MIVE-Z to do that.

grkM3

Golden Member
Jul 29, 2011
I bench my p67 mive at 5.4 ghz and 1.6 volts.

Is it safe? Nope,but that's why I spent 370 for the board.if the chip dies it dies.some people on this forum seem to forget that some people like to push things to the max as a hobby.

My lovely 2600k runs fine at 1.408 loaded volts at 4.8 and every once and a while ill push a 5 ghz run.

Chess Gator

Jan 16, 2008
I bench my p67 mive at 5.4 ghz and 1.6 volts.

All should bow... we are in the presence of greatness!

Finally, an overclocker that does not have to ask his girlfriend if he can take his balls out of her purse :)

Cordially,

CG

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
*sigh*

why does no one listen to me?

OP... go ahead do what you want.

I have no room to argue with you.
Im known as a serial CPU killer...
What does that mean??? a while back ago, i intensionally put 8 cpu's to the test on how long they would last HAMMERED, and so earned the title serial CPU killer!

and i can tell ya, 32nm + 1.4vcore = CRACK BABY!! and im talking about that under your sink cleaning product crack.

Yeah your cpu will fly... but lets see how long it lasts.
Sure 300 dollars isnt a lot... ive killed 1000 dollar cpu's... "gulftowns", but those were on accident and died with less voltage then your feeding your 2600K in a matter of MONTHS... not even a year or half a year.

And its been showning up again... 2600K's dying after months of benching.

But once again.... who wants to listen to a mod with an anime character as their avatar eh?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Well, here's a shock for you... the voltage in which you need 5ghz will most likely kill your cpu fast.

:thumbsup:

When someone with overclocking experience of IDC and aigo comment on safe SB overclocking voltage, I tend to take their advice very seriously.

I have never pumped 1.5V into my E6400 (65nm), Q6600 (65nm), i7 860 (45nm) and to me it sounds like putting that much voltage into a 32nm chip is going to kill it prematurely.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I'm with you. Let him do what he wants. Most of us can afford replacements but personally, I do real work on my PC and I don't feel like dealing with a week of downtime because my dumbass decided to run 1.5 vcore.

I think many people don't understand the effects of electromigration, a cpu doesn't die overnight - it goes bad slowly and high voltage definitely speeds that process up, a lot. I've had multiple cpu's go bad because of excessive voltage. 2 lynnfields I've owned would POST just fine but started getting repeated bsod's after 8 months to a year of continuous use - both were run at high vcores 24/7 - cpu replacements fixed the problem, so the cpu's definitely went bad. Lowering the clockspeed to stock also did not fix the problem.

Whatever though, if you don't mind having weeks of downtime and throwing cash away, have at it. Pretty sure most of us here don't care what you do OP, its just humerous.

Last edited: