Asus ITX question

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Depends on the size of the wifi card. If you can get a half size one then you can fit both.

zarellaro

Aug 26, 2013
i want to install a mSata SSD in a full length slot and a half size wifi card in the half length slot. it's possibile?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
i want to install a mSata SSD in a full length slot and a half size wifi card in the half length slot. it's possibile?

Yes, from looking at that mainboard it should be perfectly possible.

They just mean that if you have an mSATA card installed, you can't use that slot for a full length mPCIe card simultaneously. The other slot can only accept half sized card, like WIFI cards etc.

Hope that makes sense.

zarellaro

Aug 26, 2013
Yes, from looking at that mainboard it should be perfectly possible..
of course I mean that both card (mSata and Wifi) working together in the system at same time. Right?

They just mean that if you have an mSATA card installed, you can't use that slot for a full length mPCIe card simultaneously.
I don't understand: why to use the already occupied slot in order to install another card when the other card (wifi) must be installed in half size slot?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
of course I mean that both card (mSata and Wifi) working together in the system at same time. Right?

Yep... :D

I don't understand: why to use the already occupied slot in order to install another card when the other card (wifi) must be installed in half size slot?

Its just a matter of the WIFI card physically fitting both slots, but the mSATA card doesn't. Other then that, you can mix and match any config that serves your purpose.

zarellaro

Aug 26, 2013
then finally, by inserting a mSata SSD and a Wifi card in their slots both cards work without problems, right?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
the two mini PCIe slots share the same PCIe signals. So, for PCIe devices, you can only use one slot at a time. BUT, if you are using mSATA, which doesn't use PCIe signals, then you can use both slots.

zarellaro

Aug 26, 2013
the two mini PCIe slots share the same PCIe signals. So, for PCIe devices, you can only use one slot at a time. BUT, if you are using mSATA, which doesn't use PCIe signals, then you can use both slots.

ok.
I have 2 questions:

1. All the 1150 Thin ITX mobo are made as this way (mini PCIe slots share the same PCIe signals) or this Asus only?
2. all mSata SSD doesn't use PCIe signals but the Wifi card yes: with this configuration there are no problems using both devices, right?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Assuming what RU482 says is correct, yes, you can do that.
One slot will use the PCIe lanes for the Wifi card, and the other slot would be for the mSATA card.

You could assume that since they have two slots, there must be a setup which allows use of both at the same time. On that basis it's pretty much guaranteed that a PCIe card plus mSATA should work. Otherwise there's no point in having two slots, if only one can ever be used.

And each setup will be board specific (not even manufacturer specific) in terms of what is and isn't supported.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Looking into the manual, they even label the full slot as msata/mpcie(one by the ram) and the smaller one as wlan(one by cpu) so you can do both

Just to confirm waht Lonyo and RU482 said