asus hd7970 vs rqdeon hd 7970

Ben1666

Oct 2, 2012
Just wondering if anyone has used either of these and could tell me if there any good

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah, 7970 is a good card just get one with a proper cooler. The reference cooler is hot and noisy

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you mean brands then every card that says 7970 is the same usually besides coolers and clock speeds. Pick one that runs cool and has overclocking room (if you do that of course).

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Yeah, 7970 is a good card just get one with a proper cooler. The reference cooler is hot and noisy

The reference cooler is fine for most people. To say it is hot and noisy is inaccurate. It can be made to be noisy but at default speed and not overclocking the card is on par with most other reference based cards on the market.

Hot? While I agree all cards tend to hot, the 7970 does not stand out amongst the others as being notoriously hotter.

I'm not saying that I disgree with you on getting a card with a cooler like the twin frozr or DCII but I just don't think the statement you gave was accurate, esp. if the OP typically buys reference based cards.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The reference cooler is fine for most people. To say it is hot and noisy is inaccurate.

Only in an absolute sense. I was comparing it to custom coolers like Asus DirectCu II and Gigabyte Windforce.

Hot? While I agree all cards tend to hot, the 7970 does not stand out amongst the others as being notoriously hotter.

I never made any comparison to other GPUs.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Only in an absolute sense. I was comparing it to custom coolers like Asus DirectCu II and Gigabyte Windforce.

I never made any comparison to other GPUs.

but you said it ran hot. I was merely stating that any card of that caliber runs hot.