ASUS graphics cards - more expensive?

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
It seems that ASUS graphics cards are more expensive (generally) than other brands.

Are they better cards?

I am using an ASUS ROG motherboard, and love it, but I wonder about the graphics cards and if there is any real advantage to having an ASUS card with an ASUS motherboard...

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
The only advantage that I personally know of is if you're using their VGA Hotwire feature to overvolt your ASUS GPU. Wire the GPU into a compatible board, and all overvoltage can be controlled by software.

That's the only "benefit" that I know of. There is no real need to match any manufacturers board to their GPU.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I just got the Direct CU 1 TOP 680gtx the other day. Takes up 3 slots, very quiet.
couldn't be happier.
Also have a ROG GENE mobo, lot of nice features and very stable.
Better?..well for me these have been better than any of the MSI or Gigabyte brands of either I had in the past in terms of rock solid performance and expected results. Despite MSI's supposed "military class" components or Gigabytes "ultra durable", Asus products has historically outlasted and been more stable. Only time will tell for the new mobo and card but I love it so far.

Last edited:

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
I'm not familiar with all of their SKU's but any GPU that has their DirectCU heatsink is worth a small premium in my opinion because those coolers are efficient, quiet and arguably some of the best around.

I for one am a very happy owner of 2 DCII GTX670's which I bought based on numerous positive opinions and recommendations across the web.

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
I have been kicking around the GTX 670 or the HD7970 from ASUS. I just keep seeing them from other brands for a fair amount less. ASUS touts their multi phase VRMs and such.

It seems that each brand has their own "flavor" of the reference cards.

Sharchaster

Oct 1, 2012
yeah I agree with Maximillian, just BRAND NAME...TBH...,I always LOVE and PREFER MSI or Gigabyte for Graphics Card (TF and Windforce are Superior)...I WILL NEVER Buy ASUS card....since it's most expensive on my country, have WORST Customer Support on my Country (I heard on Europe have bad customer support, too, CMIIW)...Why I must spent $70 more (ASUS Card) for something which make me cry because their support is horrible, lol

Especially MSI, for their Lightning/Power Edition/HAWK version...it's most solid Graphics Card ever IMO + the cheapest and have a superior Customer Support on my country...except for Lightning.

Gigabyte same as MSI, too...have a best CS on my country, but the price is quite high compared to MSI (except for Lightning version).

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
yeah I agree with Maximillian, just BRAND NAME...TBH...,I always LOVE and PREFER MSI or Gigabyte for Graphics Card (TF and Windforce are Superior)...I WILL NEVER Buy ASUS card...

So it's just a brand name yet you're brand biased?:confused:
Do you just think in contradictions or do you have a split personality.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Does not really matter, cards use same components, just differ with cooler/heatsink designs.

I never heard of someone buying a card based on support alone..thats a new one.

Sharchaster

Oct 1, 2012
So it's just a brand name yet you're brand biased?:confused:
Do you just think in contradictions or do you have a split personality.

Biased? I guess not, All of the brand right now I think are the same, that's why I said only BRAND NAME...and ASUS from the last 2 years ago...always have a Highest Price on my Country, + Horrible Customer Support...

MSI and Giga, the price of both cards are cheaper compared to ASUS, and offer a good cooling solution...(I NEVER say that Direct CU II is bad)

Now I ASK you a question, Why I must spend $70 (I take an example for 670) for something/performance which relatively the same as other brand? and have a WORST Customer Support on my country? Do you think that I'm make a FOOL Statement in here?

I will TELL you the TRUTH now...based on 3 monts ago, the Price between ASUS, Giga, and MSI..(I am from Indonesia)

To make it Simple, I choose a 670

ASUS 670 TOP = 5.100.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $531
MSI 670 PE = 4.460.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $465
Giga 670 WF = 4.780.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $498

1 Dollar = 9600 Rupiah

Can you give me a reason Why I must buy ASUS? and you think I am a Fanboy of MSI and Giga?? The Reason I says that I always Prefer MSI and Giga, because their price is cheaper (compared to ASUS) and have solid cooling and customer support.

I am use 670 PE now...

Thanks

Last edited:

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
Ok, if we assume that for a given model, the cards are similar from brand to brand. Then when you combine cards such as in this deal:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...964&CatId=7387

Do you get double the performance over a single card. I know you can't add the memory capacity.

I suppose the question is relating to SLI or Crossfire - (generally) is a single powerful card better than two weaker cards together?

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
I don't think that tigerdirect deal is very good at all, First off 150 per card for a 7770 seems really high, second as you said the memory cannot be added together. I would always recommend and many others will as well that you get 1 card that is as fast as the two cards to avoid Multi-GPU driver issues. A 7950 would be more desirable.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
Biased? I guess not, All of the brand right now I think are the same, that's why I said only BRAND NAME...and ASUS from the last 2 years ago...always have a Highest Price on my Country, + Horrible Customer Support...

MSI and Giga, the price of both cards are cheaper compared to ASUS, and offer a good cooling solution...(I NEVER say that Direct CU II is bad)

Now I ASK you a question, Why I must spend $70 (I take an example for 670) for something/performance which relatively the same as other brand? and have a WORST Customer Support on my country? Do you think that I'm make a FOOL Statement in here?

I will TELL you the TRUTH now...based on 3 monts ago, the Price between ASUS, Giga, and MSI..(I am from Indonesia)

To make it Simple, I choose a 670

ASUS 670 TOP = 5.100.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $531
MSI 670 PE = 4.460.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $465
Giga 670 WF = 4.780.000 Rupiah...IF I convert to Dollar it would be $498

1 Dollar = 9600 Rupiah

Can you give me a reason Why I must buy ASUS? and you think I am a Fanboy of MSI and Giga?? The Reason I says that I always Prefer MSI and Giga, because their price is cheaper (compared to ASUS) and have solid cooling and customer support.

I am use 670 PE now...

Thanks

Take it easy man... ATOMIC ENERGY ACTIVATED...

Sometimes when people say it's just a brand name it refers to the product being the same across all manufacturers besides their company logos, and I think that is what Hexen thought you were saying.

What you were really trying to say was ASUS as a company is just a brand name to you. They cost too much, have bad service, and offer less value then competing products in your country.

A little lost in translation there. Now you guys can go kiss makeup or 69 each other with your preferred video cards, whatever you want.

red454

Oct 7, 2011
www.cardomain.com
I don't think that tigerdirect deal is very good at all, First off 150 per card for a 7770 seems really high, second as you said the memory cannot be added together. I would always recommend and many others will as well that you get 1 card that is as fast as the two cards to avoid Multi-GPU driver issues. A 7950 would be more desirable.

I was just using that as an example of a vendor "pairing" two cards. And I am questioning the usefulness of SLI and Crossfire... Sounds like one thumper card is better than two weaker cards paired up. At most, I will only have 2 monitors. And ultimately, the plan is to try out 3D gaming. The BF and COD games are what I like the most.

TacoRanger

Apr 18, 2012
I have a DCII V1 HD 7850 and I like it. Got it as an Open Box for $160, which was about $60 off at the time I bought it. It stays really cool at idle. The lowest I've seen it idle is 23C with it being about 26C normally. At load, the highest is 72C which was BF3 on Ultra. I do have a side intake fan blowing on to it and 2 front intake fans supplying more cool air to it. My ambient temperature in my room is near 70F or ~21C, but gets colder at night.

Sharchaster

Oct 1, 2012
Take it easy man... ATOMIC ENERGY ACTIVATED...

Sometimes when people say it's just a brand name it refers to the product being the same across all manufacturers besides their company logos, and I think that is what Hexen thought you were saying.

What you were really trying to say was ASUS as a company is just a brand name to you. They cost too much, have bad service, and offer less value then competing products in your country.

A little lost in translation there. Now you guys can go kiss makeup or 69 each other with your preferred video cards, whatever you want.

yes I agree with you, man...Finally you Understood what I meant so far.

Thanks.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Honestly, I think they're a fairly good brand and I've not had any problems with anything I've owned. As another poster mentioned, they do have good cooling solutions on their GPUs, or at least I'd generally rate them as above average. Honestly, I've had good enough of an experience with them that I'd probably pay any extra cost for their products unless there was something else that was a considerably better deal.