Info Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock adding Vermeer and Renoir support to A320 boards. (Update: 1.2.0.7 adds Cezanne support to 300 series)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Early this month they started to make the bios avalible to all models, but only to A320 boards, B350 and X370 were left out because they are EOL and A320 is still in production.

Not sure why Vermeer, it would have been better to have Cezanne.

EDIT: MSI updated to ComboPI 1.1.0.0 with the bios that say "Win11 Support" for the B350/X370 boards that bios have the microcode for Renoir and Veermer and they work.
But, this is likely a oversight on MSI part(they never released A320 updates like the other brands did, it is unannounced, it removes BR support and they told no one about it, and 1.1.0.0 is petty old), so expect issues.

EDIT2: Gigabyte is launching B350/X370 bios with Renoir support that also have Veermer and Cezanne microcodes. NO idea if they will boot up.

EDIT3: as of 03/30/22 Asus is starting to roll out bios updates for their B350 and X370 boards, no Cezanne support yet.

EDIT4: today 5/3/22 Asrock released their 1.2.0.7 bios for the A320M-HDV r4.0 with full Cezanne support, other brands should follow soon. It looks like AM4 is finally unified.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
AMD has stopped blocking CPU support, albeit recently. I think that may be why this BIOS was just posted. See this article. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1731...ril-20th-plus-6-new-low-mid-range-ryzen-chips

They will be supporting Vermeer and others including the new 5800X3D on 300 series boards, I think this BIOS was released early by gigabyte now that this was announced. I would expect this support for many boards soon.

Was it AMD or motherboard manufacturers blocking CPU support? I thought it was companies like Asus which didn't want to add additional CPU support for their EOL b350 products.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Was it AMD or motherboard manufacturers blocking CPU support? I thought it was companies like Asus which didn't want to add additional CPU support for their EOL b350 products.

It happened like this:

1) OEMs has tons of unsold A320s plus A320 is still being produced, so AMD decided to add Renoir support (probably by OEM request too), so their A320s could support both the Renoir PRO and the upcoming consumer Renoir cpu/apus. And only the A320s. At this point A320 was already blocked to boot Cezanne as the initial releases of those bios already included the Cezanne microcode, but they would not boot up.
Im not sure if this was an overlook or what exactly happened, but Veermer was also supported with those bios, so an A320 could support up to the 5800X3D, but an B350/X370 do not.

2) B350/X370 owners started to complain because yeah, how it is that the lowly A320s get new CPU support and the other mbs, incluiding the flagships motherboards do not?

3) Some brands like Gigabyte started to launch bios for their B350/X370 that supported only Renoir (Cezanne out and Veermer out).

4) Pictures of an Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2 (with a B350 chipset) showed up that supported Veermer and Renoir. More complains issued.
He, i was the one to tell about that one and provide the pictures.

5) AMD finally announced that they will support all cpus on 300 series with the 1.2.0.7. And they did keep their word as AM4 is completely unified with 1.2.0.7. Except for Bristol Ridge as 300 series not longer support them with the new bios, but who cares.

So, the original plan was to support Renoir on A320 and only Renoir, because A320 is still in production, Veermer support might had been an accident. And do not update the B350/X370 because they are EOL. Even as AMD relented and announced more B350/X370 support, it was still planned not to add Cezanne support for the 300 series, you can check the inicial Ryzen 5 5500 compatibility charts. But at the end AMD decided to remove that block as well.