ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DirectX 4GB V2 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 for $231.99 @Monoprice

Centauri

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
There's also a 1080 for $680 and a smaller 1050 Ti 4GB for $217 with the coupon.

The 1080 is almost a 'deal'

Macgyversite

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2002
What is up with video card prices? I was looking after seeing this post and they are really high.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
What is up with video card prices? I was looking after seeing this post and they are really high.
In lieu of bitcoin mining being unprofitable using GPUs, some alt coins are still profitable and so they are in high demand, just not for gaming.

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
In lieu of bitcoin mining being unprofitable using GPUs, some alt coins are still profitable and so they are in high demand, just not for gaming.

Nothing like laying out thousands of dollars and electricity to mine $5/day worth of bitcoin.

Yes, that was what my research showed... $5~6/day per GPU. I guess it works out better if you live in an apartment with free utilities. I just can't see the ROI, especially the next time difficulty increases. With electricity costs figured in, it probably takes a year or two to pay for itself.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Nothing like laying out thousands of dollars and electricity to mine $5/day worth of bitcoin.

Yes, that was what my research showed... $5~6/day per GPU. I guess it works out better if you live in an apartment with free utilities. I just can't see the ROI, especially the next time difficulty increases. With electricity costs figured in, it probably takes a year or two to pay for itself.
When Bitcoin was at an ATH of $19.5-20K, ROI on even an expensive graphics card, would have been 2-3 months, maybe 4, max.

Now that Bitcoin's price is in the toilet, a bit, it may take 6-12 months to reach ROI, especially if you paid double or triple MSRP, in which case, good luck hitting ROI.

For some of us, the cost of electricity is rolled into the rent, so I can be profitable, mostly regardless, but out of respect for my landlord, I won't mine if profitability goes below the cost of electricity.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
For some of us, the cost of electricity is rolled into the rent, so I can be profitable, mostly regardless, but out of respect for my landlord, I won't mine if profitability goes below the cost of electricity.

Plus, see how long your rent stays low if you're burning several hundred dollars per month in electricity. Your landlord certainly wouldn't be happy if you were selling power to the neighbors, and this is practically the same thing.