• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Asus G72 notebook w/ gtx260m resolution problems

sjcup10

Feb 16, 2010
Hi, I just bought a Asus G72 notebook and am trying to connect it to my big screen LCD TV ( 1year old samsung w/120htz) with a resolution of 1920x1080p. The graphic card is an Nvidia geforce gtx260m and I am using a HDMI-HDMI cord to connect it from the hdmi output on the laptopn to the hdmi port on the tv. When I select the 1920x1080 resolution the desktop screen is cut off on the right side and does not fit within the screen correctly.

I have a seperate input on the tv for "pc", but that connection looks similar to a dvi input. Could that be my problem? maybe I need a hdmi-dvi cable to connect the laptop to the lcd tv to get the resolution im looking for? Thanks.

sjcup10

Feb 16, 2010
well i fixed that problem with a setting in the tv menu, only problem I have now is trying to get sound to come out of my home thater system.

sjcup10

Feb 16, 2010
You may have to plug your laptop into your home stereo receiver, if your receiver accepts hdmi inputs.
thanks for the help. My stereo does have the hdmi inputs. So i would run (1) to the receiver, and (1) to the TV? I did try briefly, and for some reason the desktop image was scratchy/blurry. I was able to get sound by hooking up an auxilary cord, but that only gives me sound to the front speakers, nothing in the back (surround).

Its frustrating because i have a xbox360 hooked up to the same hdmi port and get total surround sound, but when i plug it into the laptop i get no sound. Im obviously rather new to this all, but is it not possible to get sound from a hdmi cord connected to a laptop, or do i need a separate cable? Or could it be a setting somewhere in the cpu/sound card that may be causing the problem since the default settings may have the sound setup for the 4 enclosed laptop speakers, is that possible?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY