Question Asus E3 Pro Gaming V5 - Problem with SSD drives on PCI-E

tomipol

Mar 8, 2021
Hi,
so i use 1 disk on m.2 ,1 disk on PCI-E x1 and 1 disk on PCI-E x16. Both pci-e disks are once in the week pluged off and on (they are my "portable" disks that i move once in the week to second motherboard)
So i have two ssd disks connected through pci-e.
And recently i started to see more and more some kind of pci-e data transfer errors (at the beginning of this configuration everything was working stable). If i heavy use one of the pci-e disks it can cause: blue screen, m.2 disk disappear, pci-e disk disappear.
I'm using latest bios and bios was reflashed recently. At the moment if i don't use any of disks pluged to pci-e, motherboard works stable with 1660 plugged to primary pci-e.

So, i suspect some kind of hardware failure, but i'm surprised that motherboard works fine with 1660 on board and m.2
Anyone met similar problem ? Any ideas if can do anything else then replace motherboard ?

tomipol

Mar 8, 2021
Now i even crash with only one ssd in m.2 so i think i wrote this post too early. I need to do better testing. Now i suspecting disk controller or m.2 or power supply.
And btw it is not a pci-e slot problem, they are just fine with in/out usage even if they are not designed for such a usage.

Reactions: killster1

legolas_tk

Apr 16, 2008
I think it might be simple connection issue. I think it is good to reseat all cables, no loose cables, 24pin/8pin, M.2 drives and all pcie cards. You might need to replace the power cord to PSU from the power outlet, and than if that doesn't work, try another PSU. and if that doesn't work, replace the M.2 too.

benjemin3

Banned
Mar 25, 2021
My m.2 SSD disconnect automatically with windows crashing fixed it buy removing and cleaning with dust then added now no issues maybe your bios issues or board pci e