Asus Crosshair VII MB confusion

Devdeep

May 22, 2006
Having asked / read a lot, I am still confused / not sure on what the best combination will be.

I have decided on:

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII (wi-fi) motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700X Gen 2
Dark base Pro 900 Rev 2 case
Corsair RMx 750W PSU OR be quiet! - Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold
Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card

I am confused on memory selection, having read various views on type/speed etc.

My broad needs are 8Gb x 2 3000Mhz (mainly for home video editing work) or go for 32Gb now to future proof.

Views and advise will be greatly appreciated.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My broad needs are 8Gb x 2 3000Mhz (mainly for home video editing work) or go for 32Gb now to future proof.

First of all, there's no such thing as "future proofing" when it comes to PCs. You buy enough RAM to do what you need to do, without running out of RAM forcing your PC to heavily hit your page file on your hard drive.

Now for your question on RAM. The best RAM to use will be kits on the memory or motherboard manufacturer's QVL lists. Since that motherboard is not released, you should wait to buy RAM once the QVL lists appear. This will ensure the RAM will be fully compatible, and will run at its rated speed.

As far as any additional memory questions, VirtualLarry answered some additional items in your previous thread on memory thread: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/2-or-4-modules.2562476/

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Just use Crucial, G Skill, Kingston, or Corsair "memory finder" for the motherboard you have, and they will list all the compatible memory for the board.

DDR4 3000 - 3200 is plenty fast for general PC use on the Ryzen platform.