Question Asus B550-F ROG Strix (Wi-Fi): iPhone 12 detection issues via USB

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I have an Asus B550-F ROG Strix (Wi-Fi) motherboard and the front USB ports of my case and the USB ports except the 2 lower ones on the rear of the motherboard have issues detecting my iPhone 12 and if it does detect it my PC won't detect any folders or files in my iPhone 12 or once in a while will detect a few files but not all. I connect my iPhone 12 to my PC via USB to import photos onto my PC. I tested my old iPhone 5 SE and I don't have that issue with it. I really want to use the front USB ports of my case for devices I connect temporarily but I can't do it with my iPhone 12 due to this detection issue. All other device I tried have no problems with detection with those USB ports, just not my iPhone 12. I tap on Allow on my iPhone but the it detects the phone but not the folder or files and if I try to reconnect it won't detect my iPhone 12 at all. Does this sound like a compatibility issue with the B550 chipset with the iPhone 12? Is there something different about the 2 lower USB ports on the rear of my motherboard compared to the rest of the USB ports of the motherboard including the front USB header? I'm using Windows 10 Pro and have the latest BIOS version and latest chipset drivers installed. Also my older PC with a X79 Chipset motherboard and my NUC does not have this issue with my iPhone 12 through USB connection.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I tried it on Linux Mint Live USB flash drive on this system and it still has issue with my iPhone 12 not detecting through those USB ports. I doubt it defective USB ports as my iPhone 5s has no issue with those ports nor do other USB devices such as input devices or external portable hard drives, and it's just with my iPhone 12. Also my iPhone 12 can still charge using those USB ports. I'm not sure if I should sell my 5800x and motherboard and buy an i7-11700k and a Z590 motherboard or keep my 5800x and sell my B550 chipset motherboard and buy an x570 chipset motherboard or just keep the system and take a chance in waiting and hoping that there will be software/driver updates that will resolve these issues I'm having. This issue along with the issue with Samsung Secure Erase program not detecting my SATA Samsung 850 EVO SSD and not recognizing that AHCI is enabled in Samsung Magician, while in my other older systems, which are an i7-4930k/X79 and the other is an Intel NUC 6i3SYH, I don't get these issues on those systems.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm getting the same issue in a complete install of LInux Mint 20.2 as well. I wonder if this is a BIOS issue with my motherboard or a chipset compatibility issue with my motherboard. I don't think it's a driver issue since it happens in both OS's.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I recently installed BIOS version 2423 and I'm still getting this issue with my iPhone 12 in all USB ports except the 2 bottom rear ones. So basically if I want to use my iPhone 12 connected to my PC I must only use one of the 2 bottom rear USB ports of the motherboard.