Question ASUS B450 PRIME - Buggy BIOS = 1,55 CPU Voltage!?

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Hi there,

I bought a small system for the purpose of taking it with me for gaming with a friend or so..

So I bought:

- Asus Prime B450 Plus (Latest BIOS installed)
- Ryzen 5 2400G (used on ebay for cheap)
- 2x 8 GB DDR4-3200 (Corsair DIMMs with Samsung Chips)
- Small Cheiftec Case + small bequiet PS + SSD

I wanted to overclock the Vega 11 to get most out of the APU. Not aimed for OC the CPU as Vega 11 is the weak part anyways.

soooo.... now my Problems:

#1 SOC Voltage somehow dependend on memory freq
- XMP Profile of the Ram das not work (not really a problem), but changing the memory from 2133 to 2666 (what is stable) let the SOC Voltage raise up 1,5V (Bios reading!!)
- So I used an Offset of finally -0,01V for the SOC Voltage as the Board then sets the SOC Voltage to 1,19 V (so starting point seems to be 1,2V not 1,5V?!)
- In Windows, SOC Voltage hovers aroung 1,18V (fine so far)

Question: Is this a bug, that the board give 1,5V to the SOC when changing the memory frequency?

#2 CPU Settings being ignored
- I realized, that once I left the "all on default" settings in the BIOS, the CPU runs @3,9Ghz all core under load
- under load (CPU-Z stresstest), CPU-Z reads 1,44V CPU Voltage, Master Ryzen Tool (and "CPU COre VID(Effektive) HWinfo) reads 1,55 CPU Voltage!!!!
- So I added an CPU Voltage offset of -0.1 to the CPU Voltage + set the multi to 36! IN the BIOS, CPU Voltage read 1,35V (instead of 1,45V what it was before)
- BUT: In Windows, this is being ignored ! CPU clocks to 3,9 GHz + voltages as high as before!!
- I tried to change the values with the Ryzen Master Tool, but this does not change anthing

EDIT: The 1,44 Volt @ CPU-Z were actually WITH the offset of -0.1.. changing it back to "AUTO" makes it 1,54 Volt @GPU-Z under load!!!

BIOS update on the Board did not help?`! Is it broken? Or is it a bug? Really do not understand, why all the settings are being ignored?!?!

Please help, thank yoU!

Attachments

• ASusuB450-Voltage.png
    ASusuB450-Voltage.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
Hi,

What is SVM, what is it for? I will search for it in the BIOS.

Im the meamwhile, i managed to clock down to 3,6ghz using 1,28V (or 1,15v in gpu-z)... This keeps my APU cool.... Now trying to OC the Vega11 to the max. Currently checking if 1525mhz are stable @1,25V GFx Voltage (what is max 24/7 Voltage correct?)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
SVM = Secure Virtual Machine.

Manually setting voltage and clocks on AMD is the way, imo.

rottwag

Apr 2, 2017
My Bios only has the option "auto" and "offset"..… i cannot type in am ansolut value for Voltage!?

I have a asus x99 for my prim. System and there i have auto, offset, manuell.