Asus Anti Surge - question.

lpio211

Dec 17, 2016
Hello. First my pc:
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
6700K stock

Listen,please.When there is brief power outage in my house ( like 1-2 second ) my pc will restart( NOT SHUTDOWN ) with Anti surge message.

But on some site about Anti Surge they said this:"Anti-Surge Protection Technology will then switch off the power to protect the motherboard and CPU."

Link:
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/asus-releases-new-mobo-with-surge-protection-9679.html

My question. What they mean saying switch off the power ? Restart too? My pc restarting instead of shutdown. Thanks.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Some bios have a setting on what to do when power is interrupted and then restored. reboot or remain off. If this setting is set to reboot then this could be why your Pc is behaving that way.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
There are so many posts out across the many different PC forums about troubles/concerns with the Asus surge protection. While it sounds great on paper, it can be triggered by false positives.

However, you posted a thread about the same issue in the past:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/question-about-asus-anti-surge-was-triggered.2495168/

The one thing that has concerned me reading your two posts, is the frequency of losing power for "1-2 seconds". If you do not have stable power in your house, it is tough on components (and especially the PSU). You really should look into getting a UPS to protect your PC from over/under voltages. Many units, like the CyberPower intelligent series feature not only battery back-up to keep you up and running during power outages, but also feature AVR (automatic voltage regulation) to keep the power coming to your PC stable.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

lpio211

Dec 17, 2016
Some bios have a setting on what to do when power is interrupted and then restored. reboot or remain off. If this setting is set to reboot then this could be why your Pc is behaving that way.
i have Automatic restart after power failure changed to OFF:) So why it restarted after brief power outage? Instead of shutdown

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
i have Automatic restart after power failure changed to OFF:) So why it restarted after brief power outage? Instead of shutdown

Who knows. Take care of your power issues first, and if you still have issues we can try to help figure it out.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There are so many posts out across the many different PC forums about troubles/concerns with the Asus surge protection. While it sounds great on paper, it can be triggered by false positives.

However, you posted a thread about the same issue in the past:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/question-about-asus-anti-surge-was-triggered.2495168/

The one thing that has concerned me reading your two posts, is the frequency of losing power for "1-2 seconds". If you do not have stable power in your house, it is tough on components (and especially the PSU). You really should look into getting a UPS to protect your PC from over/under voltages. Many units, like the CyberPower intelligent series feature not only battery back-up to keep you up and running during power outages, but also feature AVR (automatic voltage regulation) to keep the power coming to your PC stable.

I agree, grab a AVR UPS and call it a day. they are cheap enough especially the cyberpowers.