Question Asus AC68U weak range

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
I converted from a TM-AC1900 to an AC68U. I am using Merlin 384.13. When I first set up the AC68U after completing the firmware upgrades, and changed the 2.4Ghz channel to 1, the router was a huge improvement. 2 Firesticks (1 in a different room, same floor and 1 on the next floor up above) were both showing a "very good" signal with 2.4 Ghz (and streaming was actually confirmed as significantly improved - super smooth where it would normally skip with older router).

I decided to try to move the router closer to the firestick (located on same floor) to take advantage of the 5ghz connection. That did not work out so well for the rest of the house, but when I moved it back to the initial location and settings, all of my connections are terrible now. Both firesticks are now showing "marginal" signal on this router. This router is now worse than my Asus RT-N66R (which is at least showing "good" as opposed to "marginal"). I tried to reset to default settings and start again, but same issue. When I pull up the "view list" for connected "clients", both firesticks are shown as 3 bars (out of a total 4).

I dont know what to do. Is this just a bad router? It went from a beast to complete garbage in just 1 day. can someone help me diagnose and possibly fix the problem? I was so impressed at how great it was initially running. How can it have a worse range than my Asus RT-N66R? That...and the Asus RT-N66R is disrupted when our microwave runs ...lol

I found this:

Last edited by a moderator:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I think your post is fine, please slow down on the editing as
it sets off the spam filter every time you do it after 6 edits in
7 minutes.

AT Mod Usandthem

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
That's wireless! Reliable--no. Convenient--yes.

That being said, I've never seen a single signal meter on a device even close to right. The real test is using the devices. If it seems to work better/faster, it probably still is regardless of what the 'signal meter' says.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
That's wireless! Reliable--no. Convenient--yes.

That being said, I've never seen a single signal meter on a device even close to right. The real test is using the devices. If it seems to work better/faster, it probably still is regardless of what the 'signal meter' says.
Everything is super slow (consistent with the marginal signal). Streaming was super fast when it was working. Noticeable difference by far. I am using some benchmarks of things I am streaming that skip or arent smooth with my Asus RT-N66R. They were super fast when I first set up the AC68U. Now skipping and super slow. Definitely a huge change. Also, these firesticks have been fairly consistent in what they are reporting. These signals are so marginal that sometimes they are showing as "not in range" on the firestick. Trust me....its not that.

blackrain2

Aug 26, 2018
When I first switched the AC68U over to 20hz, channel 1, it became a beast. Was definitely not that strong on the other channels.

When I came back to the RT-N66R, channel 1 sucks. Channel 5 and 6 is the best (6 teeters between good and very good). I tried putting the AC68U on channel 6 and it sucks.

also, I have different signal overlaps in my office (router location) and firestick (opposite end of the house). I did download and use a signal "wifi analyzer" when I set up the AC68U.

Looking at the wifi analyzer now while in my office, my current router is taking up a big chunk of 4-8 (-35) at channel 6. 9-12 seems to have a very large band (-30). There seems to be some small activity (1 band) between 1-3 which is why I chose channel 1 initially.

However, that changes when I walk over to the firestick on the other side of the house. There are about 3 medium bands on each channel range (1-3, 4-8, and 9-12) (looks like a lot of interference by the firestick)

summary:
RT-N66R - best on channel 5 or 6
AC68U - best on channel 1 (but still is weaker than RT-N66R); sucks on channel 6
why the difference?