Asus A8R-MVP Rumour

dejavo2

Dec 21, 2005
I have been doing a bit of research on this mobo and a friend of mine has just told me that this mobo is a fake. so basically it aint what it seems? i was wondering if this rumour is true or just plain chinese whisper type. here is the link to the review.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28965

as i have just purchased this board has given me second thoughts to exchange it for another one.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
So.. I don't know how my friend has his computer running if this board don't exist ...

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
Following the thread at xtremesystems.org really makes you hate this board.

so it's a real board (@ grooge) ... i just think dejavo2 means its fake in terms of how well it does

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Its not like ASUS promotes it as a top enthusiast board. It does seem like the reviewers got better results than actual users. It also looks like ASUS could make the board better with bios updates as well. I'm keeping mine, and going forward with my build because it looks like a decent stable board, and I'm not looking for maximum overclocks for my X2.

dejavo2

Dec 21, 2005
so u have the a8r-mvp board as well? cos i got mine a week ago and i havent built my comp just yet. until i heard about this. but its like the first i have ever heard about asus. im just hoping its all good its probably a small amount of them are dodge. i wont be overclocking anything anyway the parts i have its more than what i need. but if there is anymore info based on this please let me know thank you

Cruise51

Mar 2, 2005
They crippled this board so that enthusiasts would be forced to buy their more expensive sli boards.

junkyardDawg

Oct 11, 2001
if you're not overclocking you'll probably be happy with it, seems most people who are complaining about this MB want more Vcore

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: junkyardDawg
if you're not overclocking you'll probably be happy with it, seems most people who are complaining about this MB want more Vcore

Actually, it looks like a pretty good overclocker as well. It simply doesn't have the proper bios options to enable the highest possible overclocks. There may be some truth to ASUS holding the board back since it looks like the voltage mods make a difference, not that the board can't handle the higher settings.

Regalk

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
I have this board in my second rig and my Venice 3000+ is running at 300 X 9 (mem at 200 1T) fairly easily. The vcore is limited to 1.45 but with the overvolt option it can get to 1.52 which is fine. No issues now - running excellent. On board sound is fairly good, NIC,SATA1/2 etc.
It can run in SLI mode but I have it in single video card mode. Compares to my other A8N-E - very similar in benchmarks and stability. Shipping bios is a bit finicky but the latest offers a bit more stability.
Basically no complaints here - does what I want!

Regalk

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
Yeah I saw the error but did not bother changing to crossfire - too many darn new buzz words these days
But still the board is fine - I would buy again

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Regalk
I have this board in my second rig and my Venice 3000+ is running at 300 X 9 (mem at 200 1T) fairly easily. The vcore is limited to 1.45 but with the overvolt option it can get to 1.52 which is fine. No issues now - running excellent. On board sound is fairly good, NIC,SATA1/2 etc.

So the board has a predifined stock voltage, but an overvolting option that allow to increase vcore voltage anyway. I'm asking because there was a thread here bashing the lack of voltage ajustement. the first few line started like this:
As many people who have purchased the A8R-MVP Mobo have sadly discovered, there are some serious issues with the production Mobos that Anandtech did not experience with their review board. Specifically the Mobo does NOT provide CPU Vcore voltages above 1.40V and many if not most people who have purchased this Mobo have been unable to run memory at 1T above 250 MHz even though the same memory runs fine on other Mobos above 250 MHz at 1T with no problem. The voltage issue is serious because Asus clearly advertises the A8R-MVP for use with all socket 939 Athlon / FX / X2 CPUs, which of course is impossible as the (CG) Clawhammer core chips require a MINIMUM 1.50V, which isn't even an option on the A8R-MVP Mobo.

This was from someone called Beenthere. The thread is this one..

I asked about the overvoltage in BIOS but no one explained it, and the thread just stopped there...

I'll probably get this board soon. For the hi-def audio and digital output to send my movie's sound to my home theater system. I don't plan on overclocking too much, but expect it to run my 3000+ at 2.25 Ghz just like my current Asrock do. Voltage set at 1.45, IIRC.

imported_Beenthere

Oct 8, 2004
The A8R-MVP uses a "dynamic" BIOS Vcore voltage screen. The BIOS voltage options CHANGE based on what CPU you have installed. This means that when you boot the PC the system reads the CPU I.D. string and sets the CPU voltage to AMD's specified default voltage - which is for instance 1.5V for a CG core, 1.45V for Venice/Manchester, 1.4V for X2/Opteron, etc. There are NO higher Vcore voltages available in the BIOS - only the default voltage for the CPU installed. If you enable the "over voltage" option in the BIOS you can get almost .1V increase and no more. With a CG core CPU you usually can't even get the .1V increase. As Wesley Fink has confirmed Asus originally told him the "over voltage" option bumped the Vcore voltage .2V, but in fact he has measured several A8R-MVP Mobos and they do NOT provide .2V increase. At best they provide .1V increase. That's it folks! No over-volting the CPU to overclock with the A8R-MVP Mobo.

It's my belief that the reason Asus crippled the Vcore BIOS options is because the A8R-MVP's Vcore power supply circuit can't supply sufficient current for an overclocked or over-volted X2 or Opteron dual core CPU. As such Asus castrated the BIOS voltage options to keep from frying the Mobo power supply circuit by allowing the proper Vcore voltage options up to at least 1.55V per AMD's VRM64 specifications.

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
It is like with a car.. let say the rev limiter for the engine is set a 5000RPM. You don't like that, so you put an aftermarket chip that boost the RPB up to 8000. Then, you blow the engine. Who's the responsable? Does the car manufacturer will support the warranty if the car still has some?

Motherboard are like that. I cannot blame Asus for preventing user to blow their parts by some tweaking. It is sad, but there is noob that don't have any clue and will try anything ... How many has fried their memory module with DFI board?

Asus volage circuitry is not up to par for OC with many of their board. Intel and AMD. I won't get Asus for overclocking for sure. There is other brand that do just better. But I will get Asus for simple, stable and reliable operation. Because for me, they have proven to be just that, and for most user, it is all they need.