Asus a8n-e..

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bobberrific

Jun 18, 2005
I really hate to bring bad dead threads, however, there still are a8n-e owners out there.

I have been struggling with a bad onboard ethernet connection since like my first LAN party 8 years ago (or whatever) but I have finally fixed it, so I think. Basically the problem is, the icon in the bottom right says, acquiring ip address and it will never find one and you will never access the internet or network. Upon a stroke of luck, I decided to change anything to see if I can fix it. I'm formatting soon so I just wanted to transfer some files quickly.

Right click the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller icon in network connections, properties, then uninstall "deterministic network enhancer"=>what does that even mean?! It has been working fine ever since I did that. Man I hate computers somtimes....

Speedsurfer

Aug 9, 2008
Does anyone know the PCI-E slot version of the Asus A8N-E?

From what I've been told it's 1.0a.

Also is anyone using a 4800 series card with a A8N-E? Any problems?

Keitero

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
The board is PCI-E 1.0 spec. You can use a 4xxx series card without any issues but the bottleneck would be the board/CPU/RAM.

BLaber

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Lotacatz
Fellow a8n-e owners. Glad I found such a specific thread.

New homebuilt. Everything seems to be working well and device manager happy with
everything. No conflicts noted. Not a single yellow goodie.

The darn onboard LAN. On boot I get "Lan Cable Fail". And I get "Please check the LAN
cable has been connected to onboard LAN correctly". Can't configure anything really, tho
it's tried..it just doesn't have a connection.

I'm not very good at this...but correct cable is plugged...I try thru the router sometimes
and directly into the modem. This modem is working well with this computer...the router does it's wireless thing well...I disconnect this computer and hook the new one directly to the modem.

My net knowledge is limited. I know this mobo has given others some grief concerning the on board LAN. I have an XP 64 friendly NIC on the way..but I'm very curious why this can't work.:brokenheart:

Probably something simple. I'll worry about networking it when I just simply get it
online...just thru the modem for starters then go from there.

*¬*.¸¸.·´¨`»*«´¨`·.¸¸.*¬*
On the internet, no knows you're a cat.

~StrykerMom~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enermax CS-718 case -460 watt PSU

A8N-E

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core

Processor.

eVGA 512-P2-N575-AX Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro
encompassing 7.1 surround sound for Dolby Digital.

KVR400X64C3AK2/2GB Quantity 2 of Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 PC3200

Seagate 7200.9 400Gb with 3.AAH Firmware

Lol in bios there is a option to turn off something thats causing this message , just look for it in bios and turn off the setting which says something like cable link or something like that , just dont remember the exact name of the setting ;)

Speedsurfer

Aug 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Keitero
The board is PCI-E 1.0 spec. You can use a 4xxx series card without any issues but the bottleneck would be the board/CPU/RAM.

Thanks for the info. Yes there will indeed be a bottleneck, but it's all I can afford at the moment. Hopefully it won't be in there long, just until I get enough cash to do the CPU/RAM/Board!

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
I see this thread may be dead but I would like to post in case there are any others like myself still using the A8N-E.

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
yeah i have an a8n-e mobo. was thinkin about gettin a HD 5670 for it, but still not sure. i'm not even sure if HD 5000 series cards work on this board. has to work, right?

ill post my specs in a bit

Last edited:

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
Mobo: ASUS A8N-E (Bios 1013)|
PSU: Antec SP-500|
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core|
CPU Cooler: Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro|
Mem: 2GB (2 x 1GB) TWINX2048-3200C2PT|
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5|
Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II 80mm (supply air)|
Thermaltake 120mm Blue-Eye Case Fan (exhaust)|
Graphics Card: eVGA GeForce 7600 GT (driver 195.62)|
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra AMD (driver 15.23)|
Chipset cooler: Zalman ZM-NB47J w/stock ASUS chipset fan|
Dynex Firewire PCIe adapter card on PCIe4X slot|
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 250 GB|
Ext HDD: WD MyBook Essentials 500 MB|
Monitor: Samsung 940b (digital) 19" LCD|
ODD1: Samsung SH-S162L|
ODD2: Sony Optiarc AD-7241S
Logitech G5 mouse|
Logitech 3D Extreme Digital Flight Stick

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
Thanks,

Nice to see someone still active on this thread. I have my cpu oc'd at 2200. I have not been able to get the fsb past ~350-400 and get windows to reboot :( .

I am actually planning on getting in the case over the weekend and check my power supply with a borrowed mutimeter. Also planning on doing a few other things so I'll take some pic's and post them. How about you? Any pics?

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
ASUS 939 A8n-E Rev.2 (Bios 1013)
AMD 64 X2 3800+ 939 / Stock fan / no overclock
Memory: 2GB (2x 1GB) Crucial
Case: Crappy one
PSU: Antec 430W
Chipset: Nvidia nforce AMD ULTRA / Aftermarket Cooler (15.23 WHQL)
HDD: WD 7200rpm 650GB BE.
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 (Catalyst 9.12)
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 Platinum w/Frontbay
Mouse: Mx518
CD: DVD/CD-RW Burner

gonna do a few upgrades

no, i have no pics yet. no cam, ill try to find 1

Last edited:

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
xero101, looks like we have pretty similar setup.

DSCN0767.jpg

Hope these links work, this is my first attempt at using this service.

Last edited:

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
oh nice, does that cooler interfere with ur ram stick that is covered by the cpu heatsink??? and what are your temps??

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
wanted to get an 9800gt or a HD4850 but the problem is that my cpu is going to bottleneck and im going to lose fps, so i got the 4670

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
cpu cooler does not interfere with ram, but not a lot of space b/w them. cpu idles around 38 and 42 under load. chipset estimated at 35. and gpu idles at 42. I played a few hrs of BF2 and get ~75 ave fps 102 max.

How are things working out with the 4670? What upgrades were u considering?

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
was thinkin about getting a newer psu. like a 550W one for overclocking and maybe a cpu heatsink. maybe some extra ram for win 7. not sure if it will be compatible with the nforce drivers.

yeah i get nice frames with BF2, MW2, COD4, GW, all maxed out at 1024 and 1280. the good thing about my video card is that it doesnt have a power connector, so my psu can run it at no prob. very limited to overclocking, not sure if i should do that yet.

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
I love my Artic Freezer 64 Pro. The only thing is is that at 100% it is a bit loud. This was not a problem for my stock. Tried to use the q-fan but that had trouble at lower rpms (reading 0 rpm below ~1000) so I use speedfan and it works great. I got it for around $30-35. Also, a little tricky installing.

You probably already know this but this board/chipset doesn't like more than two dimms used as it will lower the ratio (400 to 333) and you usually have to run command rate of 2t. I have ram sitting around for just that reason.

If yer happy with how your games are running I wouldn't bother with OC. I did just because I was bored and wanted to see what I could get away with.

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
Very cool. Cable management is something I think everyone struggles with. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and I do believe it is true, especially with inside your pc. In your specs it says you are using an aftermarket cooler for your chipset, but from the picture I can see the stock ASUS fan on the chipset? Am I missing something?

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
yes when i posted that it was an aftermarket, i was just about to change it. as you can see the after market cooler is at the bottom of the case ( the copper one that lights up). i decided not to do it yet because the stock cooler hasn't died on me yet + i have to take everything out. hopefully the fan will fit if i try changing it.

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
Oh, I see. That makes sense. You are correct in that you have to take everything out to replace the chipset cooler. Be very careful when pinching the back of the push pins together and pushing through the Mobo. I unfortunately was not careful enough and damaged some of the circuits which then made my three PCI slots inop. :( Just take your time and be careful with those needle nose.

barkeater

Dec 23, 2009
Do you use any of the ASUS utilities? Probe/AI Boost/etc? What, if anything, do you use to control cooling on your GPU (i.e., Speedfan, Rivatuner, etc)?

xero101

Jan 20, 2010
i use the bios for overclocking, to check my cooling i use CPUz and HW monitor. i have no heat problems at the moment because my cpu isnt overclocked. temperatures on my cpu/chipset and gpu are real low. gong to take a screenshot in a bit