Asus A7V Detects 1.1 Gig As A 1.0?

ThreeDFiles

Oct 8, 2000
Well, not sure how much info to cover, but will try. The Asus A7V detects my 1.1 as 1.0, always has from the first boot. It seems stable running at 1.0. Even there page says 500 mhz - 1.0, but I know someone who placed there 1.1 in and it detected and ran fine. Heres a bunch of thoughts and what I have done, hopefully someone else has had experience with this:

On original boot, it was locking up the bios, it got too hot. Fixed that.
Tried both bios revisions.
Was able to manually set it to 1.1 in jumperless mode, but tends to lock up occasionally.
Tried to clear the cmos by shorting the solder points as per manual, no luck. I did this because it says in the manual that it goes into a "safe mode" if bios locks. I have chosen default settings, etc, but doesent seem any different.
Temperature is at about 125 degrees on average.
Read the manual, read it again, and again and skimmed section after that.
Searched this forum and a few other sites I saw mentioned here.
Pulled out some of my hair.
Posted this thread :)

My concern is a bad chip or board, but if it was, I wouldnt know which was the problem ;) Thanks in advance for any help!

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
People were saying the Asus A7V isn't certified by Asus for >1gHz.

SilverBack

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
MadRat is right, but it isn't even AMD approved to 1GHz. The AMD page used to say 900MHz...

ThreeDFiles

Oct 8, 2000
Bummer! Well, I will call them tommorow and see if an update is coming. In the meantime, if someone could suggest a board that will support it that is actually available (ie, cant find the Gigabyte GA-7ZXR actually in stock anywhere yet) please let me know!

Thanks for the answer!

ThreeDFiles

Oct 8, 2000
Saw that thread and it does not really apply to what I am asking because I already did all that. What I am looking for is the one person who had this problem and solved it. Everyone else is just guessing. There are so few of these chips out there that most of the responses are simply the standard answers which most people who have built a computer would try first.

WCPuid does not detect my chip as a 1.1. Yes, it says 1.1 on it. Bios upgrade does not help, I already said I tried all 3, yet that thread seems to repeat to upgrade your bios.

It ended, following same information I have found on every newsgroup and forum, without an answer. The answer would appear that the A7V does not support it, at least this revision, so its buy another board or wait :(

Ahhh welll

ThreeDFiles

Oct 8, 2000
3 days later, I think theres the answer:

Processor: Socket A for AMD ThunderbirdTM / DuronTM 600MHz ~ 1.1GHz+ CPU

Thats my board, newer revision now saying 1.1+ as opposed to 1.0+

Better call the vendor.... and were off..........