Asus A7N8X-E Motherboard SATA problems

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
BIOS: Latest BIOS from Asus web site (downloaded/installed them earlier today)

Problem: How do I install windows and boot with only 1 SATA and no IDE drives connected to the computer?

Story:
I have a 36GB Raptor SATA drive and a 120GB IDE Hard drive.

Originally I couldn't install Windows onto the Raptor because the motherboard didn't come with any SATA drivers. I had to download them from the Asus web site and put them on a floppy disk. I would then boot off of the Windows CD and load the drivers in by hitting F6 at the beginning. Then everything worked fine and Windows would install. All is good, or so I thought.

I decided that I didn't want to have an IDE drive. So, I took it out. The computer will not boot with just the SATA drive... WTF. It'll boot fine if both the IDE and SATA drive are in. I then put in a 250GB IDE Drive where the 120GB was connected. Same problems... won't boot. I then removed the 250GB Drive.

I then tried to see if the computer will let me install Windows again on just the SATA drive. I boot off of the Windows CD. I hit F6 once again and try to load the SATA drivers. The computer refuses to acknowledge the floppy disk. I go ahead and ignore this step to see what happens. Not surprisingly, Windows setup says that it cannot find any hard drives.

I then put the 250GB drive in and boot off the Windows CD. I hate F6 to load the SATA drives... and it works! Hitting F6 to load the drivers will only work if there is an IDE Drive connected.

Sparky19692

Nov 21, 2004
I just received my new pc parts and am tring to figure out the same thing let me know what you find out.

live2game

Nov 20, 2004
I think it is the bios. The bios probably has a setting where you can have sata only check that

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
check your floppy cable.
Hmm, I don't understand. My floppy drive worked fine because I had to load those RAID drivers during Windows setup. ??

aE0n

Dec 7, 2004
I recently bought a raptor and had the same problem with my A7N8X. I finally figured it out by reading an old post here haha.
Anyway, I went to the WD website and got the drivers from there, copied to a floppy and it worked, where the ASUS ones or Silicon Image ones wouldn't. Here's the link:http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Sorry, what does NTW mean?

Also, my SATA is enabled. I'm currently running Windows 2003 of a 36gb Raptor. It boots off the Raptor drive fine. However, I also have a 250GB IDE hard drive connected to the computer. If I were to disconnect the 250GB drive right now, the computer will not boot off the Raptor. Crazy eh?

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: aE0n
I recently bought a raptor and had the same problem with my A7N8X. I finally figured it out by reading an old post here haha.
Anyway, I went to the WD website and got the drivers from there, copied to a floppy and it worked, where the ASUS ones or Silicon Image ones wouldn't. Here's the link:http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
Thanks bro. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and will post the results.