OS - Windows 98 SE
Display Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce2 Intigrated GPU
Anti Virus - Norton 2002 Works Professional

This is what has been happening.
I built the computer around a week ago.
Formated HD.
Installed OS.
Installed Anti Virus.
Installed and updated drivers from NVidia Website.
Downloaded Motorcross Madness 2 (MCM2) and Midtown Madness2 (MM2) Trial Versions.
Installed installed MCM2 and MM2.
Tried MCM2 a few times and the Video went way too fast (The sound was normal).
Tried MM2 a few time and the Video sometimes went normal and sometimes fast (The sound was normal).
Also the left mouse button was not working correctly (Had to double click just right).
Turned computer off.
Booted computer on.
Only could get to the desktop with no Icons or start button.
Rebooted, same thing happened.
Rebooted, got blue screen (somthing to do with the OS).
Rebooted, right after Win 98 Logo, all I got was a black screen.
Quick format HD.
Installed same OS.
Installed Anti Virus.
Installed and updated drivers from Nvidia website.
Downloaded and installed MCM2, MM2.
MCM2 still always fast.
MM2 sometimes fast.
Still having problems with the mouse.
I tried MCM2 again and got a blue screen while playing.
It said "A fatal exception OE ocurred at 0028:05940016. The current application will now be terminated" Then there was press any key to continueor CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart computer.
I clicked "Any Key" then the computer showed all the bright colors of the rainbow probably more and froze.
I turned the computer off.
Now what should I do?????????
:confused:

SwampsterFL

Oct 30, 2001
Let me suggest a couple of things . . .

#1: Have updated drivers for motherboard, video card, and any other cards on hand befory you start if you have to borrow a connection from a friend. If this isn't an option, then at least have what came with the parts available.

#2: The proper order is to install the OS, then any and all motherboard drivers, THEN the video drivers, then drivers for any other items nor correctly installed with the OS. You can now install and update your anti-virus software

#3: After you are comfortable that all your hardware seems to be stable and temps are staying in an acceptable range for a system not under stress, then you can check the game publisher's board for any known issues as to your specific video card, your refresh rate, your motherboard, or your anti-virus software

#4: Once you have all this under control, you can then download and install ONE of the games. See if you can make it stable based on your current hardware/driver configuration and any settings available within the game itself.

Don't try the second game until and unless you can get the first one stable. You are introducing too many variables when you install both at once.

CompKidRRO

Jan 22, 2002
There are no Issues with my integrated video card and the game. I also need DirectX 8.1 for the game

CompKidRRO

Jan 22, 2002
Well I reinstalled OS and did what you told me SwampsterFL.
Did it twice.
When I have just MCM2 I have to go through the Direct X8.1b Diagnosist before I play every time so that it will work correctly. Also the right mouse button variously does not work with double clicking.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Please list all the drivers you installed under 98SE. I just built a box using the A7N266-VM using win98SE and found it to be a very difficult install which required more work than I've had to do on an install in years. Once finished it worked great and I'm impressed with it for an all-in-one solution :) I suspect you don't have everything installed so I thought I'd ask you to list all of the drivers you installed ;)

SwampsterFL

Oct 30, 2001
Just a thought . . . try a different game. Something in the same class, but something you have not tried as yet. If possible, make it a full version and not a trial version like you have been playing with. Also check functions like the mouse, etc. under regular programs as well as some graphic editing programs if you can and let us know what that does. The other respondent is operating under the same theory in that we both suspect you have a driver missing or incorrect or corrupt. Reinstalling isnt' likely to do any more good at this point as whatever is wrong is just being reintroduced every time.

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Please list all the drivers you installed under 98SE. I just built a box using the A7N266-VM using win98SE and found it to be a very difficult install which required more work than I've had to do on an install in years. Once finished it worked great and I'm impressed with it for an all-in-one solution I suspect you don't have everything installed so I thought I'd ask you to list all of the drivers you installed
*sigh*, to be honest, I'm the one who recomended the A7N266-VM knowing that nForce has had in the past issues under 98SE. Anyway, since I've been keeping in close contact with him, I believe the only drivers that have been installed are the very latest nForce UDA drivers from nVidia's website, I'm pretty sure those are the only drivers that have been installed, we also flashed to the latest A7N266-VM BIOS. I honestly can't see what CompKidPRO and I are forgetting. We're just using all the on-board stuff, no PCI cards. We were planning on installing a copy of Windows 2000 to see how it does in all this. Thanks everyone.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For myself, the drivers had to be installed manually, 1 by 1, including the 3 ram controllers in the system devices and when I downloaded the new drivers the auto-installer/extractor said it was for ME only so I had to install everything all over again, 1 by 1. If you don't see the 3 ram controllers listed in system devices in the device manager (EDIT: listed specifically as Nvidia 220 or 420 IIRC ram controllers) that could explain the instability. BTW it works fine using 98SE for me, it was just a tedious install due to all the individual driver installs so I'll be surprised if it's strictly OS related.

CompKidRRO

Jan 22, 2002
So what you mean is I have to install a driver reboot, install a driver reboot... With the video drivers last. Ok I will try that.

CompKidRRO

Jan 22, 2002
I tried to play Startreck ARMADA II (FULL VERSION).
However, it kept going superfast.
So I did a quick reformat on the computer.
Installed windows.
Installed a driver and rebooted (so on and so forth).
The last driver I installed was the display adapter.
After I rebooted for the display adapter I got a blue screen.
It said, "A fatal exception OE ocurred at ..........) (so on and so forth).
Then I tried to install Microsoft office 97 and it kept freezing at 87 percent (I THINK)
So I tried installing just Word instead of everything and it still froze at 87 percent.

duuuma

Sep 29, 2001
I took athlon4all's advice and bought one of these asus boards for my girlfriend's computer...WinXP loaded like a breeze and it's running stable as rock. Did you try a different OS like win2k or xp?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
If you look in the manual from chapter 5.3.3 to 5.3.6. shows you step by step how to install the drivers, you don't need to reboot except when finished installing all the drivers. BTW, OE errors are memory errors, do you have the bios set to SPD for the memory settings? I would download the latest drivers and install them as instructed in the manual. If you keep getting freeze ups and OE BSODs I would try different memory, Crucial 2100DDR is working great with mine.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: duuuma
I took athlon4all's advice and bought one of these asus boards for my girlfriend's computer...WinXP loaded like a breeze and it's running stable as rock. Did you try a different OS like win2k or xp?
I actually caved in and put XP pro on mine and it was as smooth as I'd hoped, I couldn't get my LAN to work right though, how's your's?

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
If you look in the manual from chapter 5.3.3 to 5.3.6. shows you step by step how to install the drivers, you don't need to reboot except when finished installing all the drivers. BTW, OE errors are memory errors, do you have the bios set to SPD for the memory settings? I would download the latest drivers and install them as instructed in the manual. If you keep getting freeze ups and OE BSODs I would try different memory, Crucial 2100DDR is working great with mine.
Hmmm, thanks for the bit on the OE errors. I've never known what they meant lol. He has been getting those on and off. Maybe we'll try a differebnt stick of DDR. The memory he's using right now is 256MB PNY he goit in a rebate from BestBuy, but mine's Crucial (on a Shuttle AK31A). We'll try swapping the memory and see if that clears up the OE Errors (or maybe switches them to mine to see if we have a bad stick of DDR
Praise the Lord duuma!!!! I must appologize for never PMing you back, I wasn'[t sure if these issues my friend is having are going to be easily solved lol. But praise the Lord the system you were doing is up and running great!!!:)

I haven't been able to get over there for a while, sometime this up coming week, I am going to do personally with my Crucial RAM a reformat of Win 98SE and install the drivers myself and see what happens.

Thanks so much everyone for the help and suggestions:D:)

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Ok, well we have tested the RAM with Memtest 86 (My Crucial in a Shuttle AK31A and CompKIDPro's PNY in the A7N266-VM) and both checked out with 0 errors. I did a reinstall of 98SE, and when I booted in, I installed all of the nForce's drivers. First I did the PCI Management bus (which was listed in Other devices before I installed the driver), then the 2 MCP Devices (which were in Other devices), then the Ethernet Controller (in other devices), then the Int. Video (which previously was just standard VGA in Display Devices), and then there were 3 Memory Controller devices in sytem devices, and I did for each one selected Update Driver and selected the folder with all the nForce drivers, and 2 of those memory controllers were nForce 220/415/420 Memory Controller, but the 3rd was nForce 220. I know you said make sure 220 was selected, but it didn't give me an option, but all 3 do have 220 in them so. Anyways, I'm not sure where to go now. Even with my Crucial RAM, it still got one OE Exception error (we only tested for a hour and a half) and also it appears that the lockup during office 97 was due to it having trouble reading the CD's (which I tried his Office CD, but with his 2000 and my 2000 CD's as well), and we tried 2 CD-ROM's. I dunno what thats about, I am going to double check the 2000 CD's and make sure they are in good enough condition. Anyways, the ironic thing is that I stilll haven't gotten a chance to try the game's agsain lol. CompKIDPro will post how the games are running on a new install of 98SE with the drivers installed exactley the way the manual says.

duuuma

Sep 29, 2001
dapunisher - i can't remember too well and the computer is in another city, but i'm pretty the drivers off of the winxp CD worked well for me. If not, then i'd probably try windows update. if those 2 didn't work, i'd probably cave and use a pci ethernet (i've got too many laying around anyway ;)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: duuuma
dapunisher - i can't remember too well and the computer is in another city, but i'm pretty the drivers off of the winxp CD worked well for me. If not, then i'd probably try windows update. if those 2 didn't work, i'd probably cave and use a pci ethernet (i've got too many laying around anyway ;)
LOL, yeah I tried everything but no dice so I threw in a card I had laying around ;) Athlon4all, I'm running out of ideas here, sorry :( Have you tried setting the memory timings in the bios manually? Just for the sake of experimentation you could disable the MAC controller and see if that helps, I called no joy on it myself as you know. Also, Have you tried installing the latest Nforce drivers using the same method yet to see if that helps?

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hey don't be sorry DAPUNISHER:) I too am running out of ideas, to me, the OE Erros even with my Crucial RAM is making me thing its the Mobo. I have a feeling we are going to RMA the motherboard.

Athlon4all

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Thanks everyone for your help. We have narrowed it down to the mobo. Tryed different CPU, Diff Power Supply, and RAM, same behavior. We just filled an RMA to Newegg yesterday, I just wanted to say Thanlks again:) God Bless (lets pray it will work like a charm with the new mobo if Newegg accepts the RMA)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanx for the update, good luck guys :)

Jun 26, 2002
I know I am a little late on this, but I think for the A7N266-VM you need the Asus drivers, not the Nvidia drivers. I've heard that Asus integrated really only works with Asus drivers. I had the same problem on my girlfriends computer. I let windows update the driver and it crashed on me all the time. I was talking to someone today, and they agreed with me saying that Asus created this motherboard so that only their drivers work on it.