• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

ASUS 7850 DCU2 fan speed?

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
OK, here's my brand new card! So excited! I uninstalled the nV drivers. I went to Safe Mode and used the latest Drver Sweeper on the remains. Turned to computer back on, with the 7850 in it.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! went on the fans at 100%. Huh, must be the drivers!

I installed latest Catalyst 12.4, rebooted. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! - no effect. Huh, must be the lack of fan control!

I installed the latest MSI Afterburner 2.2.1 and - WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! No effect, despite slider settings. Huh, maybe it's too "green"? Let's go for a dedicated tool.

I downloaded and installed the latest ASUS GPU Tweak...

Guess what I'm hearing now? :'(
It's ridiculous, the fan "duty" is per the slider. Whatever it is, 11%, 80%, left on Auto (both Afterburner and GPU Tweak, even on non-default fan profiles!), the fan actually RPMs at 4200-4400, one hundred percent, all the time.

I know, it actually screams "OC me, honey! OC ME LIKE YOU'VE NEVER OVERCLOCKED BEFORE! :wub:", but come on! I can't stand the whine :sneaky:

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
Also, the performance is way below expectation. I mean, I'm not getting 30 fps in 1680x1050 in Battlefield with everything on!

I think it's just broken and I need to RMA :(

Phishy714

Jun 11, 2012
If you are comfortable with it, you could always reflash the bios on it - might be something as simple as that to fix it. Otherwise, yeah, you need to RMA that one.

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
At least the performance was my fault, I had the FXAA injector left in BF3. It did marvels for my GTX 460s performance, but 7850 somehow did not agree with it.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Stock performance isn't particularly amazing on the 7850, it's the headroom and scaling that makes the card. Anyways, sounds like the the fan controller is broken, you should RMA it.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Remove the card and remove the stock heatsink so you can replug the fan into the card. I had that same issue when i reinstalled the stock fan incorrectly.

Last edited:

Kastor Krieg

Jun 10, 2012
Remove the card and remove the stock heatsink so you can replug the fan into the card. I had that same issue when i reinstalled the stock fan incorrectly.
Dude, I love you :wub:

Somebody tucked the power cable under the cooler and when I pulled it out I might've loosened up the fan power pin, as it does not have the lock on it. I did not even have to take off the cooler, there was a lot of space under it, so I pushed the power pin back in place and voila! :D

THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Dude, I love you :wub:

Somebody tucked the power cable under the cooler and when I pulled it out I might've loosened up the fan power pin, as it does not have the lock on it. I did not even have to take off the cooler, there was a lot of space under it, so I pushed the power pin back in place and voila! :D

THANK YOU! :thumbsup:
Don't mention it now get to overclocking :D

ASK THE COMMUNITY