Asus 280x Direct CU ll Top is different than ones reviewed

CRA5HMAN

Oct 23, 2013
Hello all, I am new to the forums and decided to join after researching the card for the past week. I ended up picking up this Asus card due to favourable reviews and the price to performance ratio. I upgraded from a 570 GTX and am happy with the performance of the card. There are some major differences from the card from all the reviews versus the card I purchased:

- the card takes up 3 slots (not 2)
- the card has 4 display ports and 2 DVI connections
- it also has a back plate
- finally the heat sink and pipes are enclosed over the entire length an width of the card

Again, I am happy with the card but curious about the differences.
Does anyone have a similar card? Could it be a different version? Is it a Frakencard?

Thanks!

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
That is because you got the Matrix version? How could you possibly get those two cards confused when even the price is different?

smithkt

Oct 29, 2007
Not sure why you posted this again after I answered in the first post. Anyway...

Check the ASUS website. There are actually three versions.

R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 is a two slot card
R9280X-DC2T-3GD5-V2 is a three slot card
MATRIX-R9280X-P-3GD5 is also a three slot card.

Sounds like you received a DC2T V2 card.

CRA5HMAN

Oct 23, 2013
Thanks Smithkt. When I was making my first post, I thought I erased it while editing, so I made the this post. Thanks for the information I really appreciate it.

Teizo, I didn't get those 2 cards confused, the 1 one got seemed to be some kind of hybrid of those, but thanks anyway for your comments.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Teizo, I didn't get those 2 cards confused, the 1 one got seemed to be some kind of hybrid of those, but thanks anyway for your comments.

Well, I am sorry for coming off as a jerk. I must have had something spiked unknowingly in my morning coffee.

CRA5HMAN

Oct 23, 2013
No problem Teizo! I am really enjoying the card, can't wait for BF4 ....the reason for the new card.

Cheers!

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
At least yours works... My Matrix Plat R9 280x is doa. Seems a lot of people are having a lot of issues with them.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
At least yours works... My Matrix Plat R9 280x is doa. Seems a lot of people are having a lot of issues with them.

The only video cards I've had absolutely fail in the last half dozen years or so were all Asus specific cards (vs. reference cards). Will never buy another Asus gpu ever again. Having ridden the Asus RMA merry-go-round twice, for months at a time, was enough to teach me to look elsewhere for AIB specific gpus. Have had much better luck with the Gigabyte and MSI specific cards.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
The only video cards I've had absolutely fail in the last half dozen years or so were all Asus specific cards (vs. reference cards). Will never buy another Asus gpu ever again. Having ridden the Asus RMA merry-go-round twice, for months at a time, was enough to teach me to look elsewhere for AIB specific gpus. Have had much better luck with the Gigabyte and MSI specific cards.

Out of my Sapphire and my MSI, I have to say MSI is the best out of the two. One of the fans has been clicking when hot on the Sapphire for the past year, but can't be arsed to get it sorted, so if it does fail I will just go and get a aftermarket cooler for it.

ikachu

Jan 19, 2011
I thought my DC2T was DOA at first, but it turns out I needed to install a BIOS update on motherboard (ASROCK 890FX Deluxe5). Then it worked fine.