Astronomers may have found a signature of life on Venus

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Excerpts from the Article:
The astronomers, led by Jane Greaves of Cardiff University, detected in Venus’ atmosphere a spectral fingerprint, or light-based signature, of phosphine. MIT scientists have previously shown that if this stinky, poisonous gas were ever detected on a rocky, terrestrial planet, it could only be produced by a living organism there. The researchers made the detection using the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope (JCMT) in Hawaii, and the Atacama Large Millimeter Array (ALMA) observatory in Chile.
The MIT team followed up the new observation with an exhaustive analysis to see whether anything other than life could have produced phosphine in Venus’ harsh, sulfuric environment. Based on the many scenarios they considered, the team concludes that there is no explanation for the phosphine detected in Venus’ clouds, other than the presence of life.

https://news.mit.edu/2020/life-venus-phosphine-0914

I'm surprised that no one else posted this news here on AT. This news is major.

Reactions: gradoman

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well, that's very interesting. I wonder if it will make our Earth-bound extremophiles seem wimpy.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
dd3fddb129c4d10c0b39c246316c9c9d.jpg

Reactions: Hayabusa Rider

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Could it be "contamination" from Earth? There have been probes sent to Venus, and we've found rocks on Earth that originated on Mars, some Earth rocks could've made it to Venus too...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Could it be "contamination" from Earth? There have been probes sent to Venus, and we've found rocks on Earth that originated on Mars, some Earth rocks could've made it to Venus too...

This was my first thought, in terms of explanations that need to be investigated and discredited, if they haven't already.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
With billions of galaxies out there, I'm shocked that there could be a microbe/gas that came from somewhere and or landed someplace other than Earth.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm surprised that no one else posted this news here on AT. This news is major.
because some understand that .. life in the universe, intended as "bacteria" is likely to be *very* common. Intelligent life, not so much. Phosphine, first of all, does not prove life, but due to other conditions on Venus, there is a good chance that in this case yes, it comes from bacteria. Wohoo.

When we, as a race, said "is there life in space", we didn't actually mean "is there life in space".

What we meant is, "is there life in space with big tits, that we can have sex with?". THAT is the question that haunts mankind.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
because some understand that .. life in the universe, intended as "bacteria" is likely to be *very* common. Intelligent life, not so much. Phosphine, first of all, does not prove life, but due to other conditions on Venus, there is a good chance that in this case yes, it comes from bacteria. Wohoo.

When we, as a race, said "is there life in space", we didn't actually mean "is there life in space".

What we meant is, "is there life in space with big tits, that we can have sex with?". THAT is the question that haunts mankind.
Does it matter if the big tits are connected to "intelligent life" or are we just hoping the "bacteria" count is low?

• Haha
Reactions: Spacehead

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
so, i explain; i should first off point out some things that may or may not be obvious.

1. i am not a scientist. I like science and read a lot of it, and i try to be factual, but, i can only tell you what i took away from the stuff i read, and i can be wrong.
2. the science of abiogenesis is still new .. like, REALLY new. We are at the "hypothesis" stage, although the work has been approached seriously, it's not quackery. Nothing like "wormholes to FTL travel" bullshit.
3. some injectures are my own, i have (i believe) realistic expectations that they are correct, but again, speculation is still speculation, no matter how smart i am.

Abiogenesis is the theory that organic life forms from non-organic compounds through a series of mechanical factors. Pressure, heat, impact, chemical reactions, eventually lead to the spontaneous formation of "machines", chemical structures that have the propriety of "eating" and "replicating", through sheer numbers, luck, and a purely mechanical form of evolution. These eventually grow in complexity until they become bigger and more complex and bigger and more complex and at one point they are "alive". There is no division line in this process between when something is alive and not-alive.

There are a number of viable abiogenesis models. I will link one video, but there are more, all of which are different, but all of which have these thinsg in common:
1. the models represented are viable, and realistic
2. the forces that action the model are purely mechanical and chemical

Now, i did say that there are multiple viable models of this phenomenon; so, which one is correct?

It doesn't really matter. We have at least one model which is realistic and viable and therefore we can - until evidence to the contrary emerges - state without fail that abiogenesis is happening, somewhere, all the time.

To drive a point home, if tomorrow let's say, definitive proof comes out that GOD CREATED MANKIND. Abiogenesis would *still* be happening, because it's a byproduct of the universe we live in, just like erosion, chemical reactions, combustion, thermal expansion, it is a physical phenomenon that is spontaneous and will always happen: it may not always end up creating life, but it can.
Also, it's totally possible that there isn't ONE correct abiogenesis model, but in fact that there are multiple correct models - just like there are multiple ways that dirt can stick to a ball of glue, because essentially the process is the same.

So .. bacteria in space. Complex chemical chains are likely to be everywhere. At the stage that we are in, what we want to know is a X value of "statistical amount of occurrence of long chain molecules over Y number of a exoplanets", because, our endgame is to find out how common intelligent life is, and while we have a pretty good idea that abiogenesis is what made life surface on Earth, we still can't say how likely it is that the same has happened in other earthlike planets. We're not even sure how common earthlike planets are.
It's totally feasible that full life is quite rare, due to the necessity of a number of exceptional occurrences, but basic chemical machinery, that ought to be suuuuuper common, it's really a matter of seeing how far along the development they are.

Phosphene, is a gas that *can* be a byproduct of life, and, it also can not. I do not understand this exactly, but have been explained that it is due to the fact that with the known atmosphere of Venus, phosphene would not last long before it beinds to other chemicals, thus it needs a constant production of gas to remain visible in the spectrum - ergo, bacteria.
Or something not.
Let's not get excited.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I'd be worried about teeth in all the wrong places