Asthma.....Serious stuff.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Does anyone have asthma or know of anyone that has it?
Well I have it for about 17 yrs now and people keep telling me that you grew out of it...well I still have it.
I remember when I was like 11 or 12 I have to spend my Christmas and New Year in the Hospital. :(
Now I have to carry the pump wherever I go just incase of an asthma attack. Why can someone just come up with a cure for this damn thing.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Both my sister (17) and my girlfriend (21) have serious asthma. My sister misses probably 1/8 of her classes every semester due to attacks. Last month I almost had to take my girlfriend to the hospital 3 times because of attacks. She was on steroid pills and a steroid inhaler for a month. It is a serious, deadly disease that affects more people than most think.

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
Like 30% of my friends have asthma and their normal kids and a lot of them play sports...

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have it but it rarely hits me. My summer job I have done for a few years (sanding bowling lanes) irritates the condition BADLY, and I had to be rushed to emergency once from work. That was where I was actually first diagnosed. Every once in a while, I'll walk into a place or something, and I'll just feel my lungs CLOSE UP. It's a very bizarre feeling. I don't have attacks regularly enough or bad enough to necessitate carrying the inhaler with me though.

Ricky
DesignDawg

CyberTiger

Jun 14, 2000
i was born in a very air-polluted city and i had non-life-threatening ashma. but since i moved to a different place (i was still very young), my ashma seems to have disappeared.

TAsunder

Oct 6, 2000
Most minor athsma probably does go away with age. My athsma used to be pretty bad, now it's not been a problem since a ludicrously high pollon count in DC a while back. I think it's a combination of better medicines and age.

I spent my birthday in the hospital when young because of it, and was one year later in the hospital due to pneumonia over christmas.

If we are going to find a cure for something, I gotta go with cancer. More likely to kill and affects 1 in 3 people (according to genetics textbooks I have).

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
My ex was finally diagnosed with asthma after we were married. He suffered his whole life up to that point not knowing what was wrong with him because his mother kept telling him he'd "grow out of it". His doctor told him it was a miracle he never had any disastrous asthma incident, because in addition to the asthma, he had severe allergies. He finally went on a few different forms of medication, and learned there were actually foods that made it worse for him. It actually got a little better after he turned 30, and now it is very manageable (not to mention he knows what kinds of things to avoid and how to stop an attack before it gets out of hand).