Assuming someday that your whole consciousness could be transferred to a computer

GodBlessTheUSA

Sep 15, 2001
It then can transfer your consciousness to another person, maybe even a clone.
You're still alive, you and the clone then part ways.
Your consciousness from that point will have different memories and experiences from that point on.
Are they both still you?

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
I would say no.

You're memories and experiences define who you are as a person and if there is any difference between yours and the clones, you are different. Similiar, but not the same.
In fact since the clones entire existence has been different from yours, I'd say that it is never you.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was thinking about this, but I was thinking about what would happen if they could create a machine to teleport people. Would the teleported person be the same as the one that walked into the teleport, or would they lose something in the process.

Tim

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Remember the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where that's basically what happened to Riker? They found out that 8 years prior, a Transporter accident had created a duplicate Riker, who had been living his own life for the last eight years. Neither of them had anu knowledge that the other one existed.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
no, not unless "you" could control both bodies. but from what it sounds like you're describing, you just give it all the info you have, then it's own it's own, so i thnk that it isn't me.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001

<< Remember the episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where that's basically what happened to Riker? They found out that 8 years prior, a Transporter accident had created a duplicate Riker, who had been living his own life for the last eight years. Neither of them had anu knowledge that the other one existed. >>

I saw that episode for the first time just the other day. Pretty good IMO.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I don't think that that's at all possible, but saying that it is for the sake of argument, no the new person is not you.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
It seems possible, given large enough storage capacity, and some medium for extraction and implantation. The idea itself is possible, its just the process that is difficult. If the contents of your enitre brain is transfered entact into a clone, you would have recreated yourself. From a biological standpoint, the brain is just a bunch of neurons, to recreate its pattern is to duplicate consiousness itself.

Now the cost implications and technoligical advancements necessary may mean this will not happen for a considerable period of time. Furthermore, given the relative "primitiveness" of modern human psyche (capacity for violence, greed, etc.)we don't want to be cloning current people either.

Dougster

Dec 14, 1999
Ok, say they stopped your brain at an instantaneous moment when you were sleeping, then transferred your consciousness to two different "empty" bodies in two different locations, then killed your old body. Where would "you" wake up?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Ah, a good clear philisophical question. Is it your memories that make you *you*. I'm just waiting for Linuxboy to get in on this one... :)