AssocIsDangerous could not be located in Shlwapi.dll Error.

Goopster

Mar 31, 2003
My uncle's computer had a problem with internet explorer and every time we typed any URL we got a page not found error. DSL connection with Verizon was fine. Here are the steps my cousin and i took that is causing this computer to not to restart.

It is Intel Celero Dell Dimension 2200 with windows XP home. 128MB Ram.

1) uninstalled AIM
2) Ran Spybot because computer was running very very slow lately and lots of pop ups were poping. I could not get rid of all the entries and got a message to run spybot at restart.
3) right after this we could not get the internet explorer to work.
4) Ran Ad-aware a few times and each time it got stuck on conditional scan.
5) yesterday a message poped up to upgrade from microsoft is available sp2 i think it was. Started installing it and then cancelled because it was taking forever.
6) decided to uninstall IE and it add and remove software asked if we want to repair. I selected it restarted computer and it did not work. Then we decided to go back to use the previous version and right after that computer won't start.

AT restart 1st message that pops up is "The Procedure Entry Point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll"

2nd message after this is "The logon Interface DLL MSGINA.dll failed to load"

I pressed F12 and selected to boot from cdrom and went to c: prompt and tried to go into windows directory and got message that invalid directory.. Then i went to sleep and got very frustrated.
Any help is appreciated thanks.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
if you're getting an invalid directory the first thing to get done is a chkdsk from recovery cnsole.

see where you're at after that but you might have a dll mismatch on your hands too.

Goopster

Mar 31, 2003
I have all the CD's from Dell but i am not sure how to get to recovery console.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Ug. Well the bad news is that Dell may have not supplied you with an actual XP cd that will allow you to reach recovery console. If you were able to boot to the OS, you could install recovery console and get to it that way. If this is a Dell that only comes with a "system restore CD" you might be in a pickle.

You can download the XP installation diskettes from Microsoft and get to recovery console that way I suppose. What you are after is trying to start setup either via CD or diskette. When you get to the "welcome to setup" screen you hit 'R' to go to recovery console.

If it's under warranty Dell should have free tech support for you. Their enterprise guys should be good but the consumer folks will probably give you an answer of "use your recovery CD to reload".

Goopster

Mar 31, 2003
when i hit F12 it takes me to an option to boot from CD rom and i did get to c: but i guess this is not a recovery console prompt and it is just a dos prompt, is that right.
I will download and create 6 floppies from microsoft but i am not sure which version of XP home is loaded in my uncle's computer. you need that info to create floppies can i somehow know from dos prompt.

Also when i change directory from Dos prompt to Windows i get a message invalid directory is it because i am in dos not recovery file console?

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
You could be getting that error because you are in DOS and it's an NTFS filesystem. You need recovery console which will give a traditional dos prompt, but isn't actually DOS.

Goopster

Mar 31, 2003
I also need a boot disk for this computer. It is running Windows XP Home.

How do i find out which Service Pack does it have?