Associated a program with wrong program, who to fix?

theanimala

May 10, 2000
I downloaded a multipart file that I needed to join with a free utility, HJ split. Before doing that I told windows to open with Notepad, and now as I save these files they are automatically saved in a notepad format. Even if I use HJ Split to open, they are now only openable in Notepad. I tried to go back to the file type to tell windows, but it shows notepad as the program of choice and has no option to take it back to nothing at all. Can anyone assist?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
right click the file.
go to properties
under the general tab, there is a section near the top that says open with:
click change.
select the program you want to open it with.

theanimala

May 10, 2000
Thanks for the reply, that's the problem, I don't want it associated with any program at all. And now I can no longer uncheck the "always use the selected program" box.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Go into Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, File Types. Find file type and select Change for Opens With. You then have the little checkbox that you can deactivate.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
you can also hold down shift or ctrl-shift(forgot which one) and use the "open with" option too, and change it that way

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Savarak
you can also hold down shift or ctrl-shift(forgot which one) and use the "open with" option too, and change it that way

on some files, that little checkbox is grayed out