Assistance with overclocking a new system.

Agrippa

Aug 1, 2000
I will be building a new system in a month's time and I could use a little help/info on safe overclocking. I'm sitting on a P4 Northwood for the time being and my last experience with overclocking dates back about 3 years or so, so I'm a bit out of the loop these days.

The new core system will be:

ASUS P5B Dlx WiFi
E6600
2x2GB PC6400 CL5 RAM
8800GTS or GTX (not entirely sure yet)

I've no intention of squeezing out every little drop of performance, but rather just to collect on some of the untapped potential while keeping within 100% safe limits. The system will be up 24/7/365, so I've no wish to stress it more than it can easily handle. Basically I intend to clock the CPU up to 3GHz, while underclocking the RAM at 667 and tightening the timings a bit. Aiming for 4-4-4-12, but we'll see how that goes.... Anyway, CPU and RAM frequency is not a problem, but below are a few new things in the BIOSes today which I could really use a hand with.

FSB Termination Voltage - safe maximum?
Northbridge and Southbridge VCore - safe maximum?
ICH Chipset Voltage - safe maximum?

PCI Express Frequency - I've read several places that upping the PCI-E freq. will give a noticable performace gain. Is this correct? If so, approx. how much can it safely be increased? Also, if I increase it, should NB or SB voltage be increased to ensure stability?

DRAM TRFC & TRRD - huh?
Rank write to read delay - huh?
Read to precharge dealy - huh?
Write to precharge delay - huh?

PEG port configuration - and huh?

That's about it I think. Quite a lot I know, but if someone would take the time to educate me a little, I'd be very grateful.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
FSB Term: 1.45v
Northbridge: Keep it cool. It is a 90nm chip can go to 1.65 for 24/7 if it is cool.
Southbridge: 1.20v
ICH Chipset: Does not help overclocking, leave it at stock.

For Max Stability Sub-timings(Not Max Speed)

With the Gigabit IC's they are using you will have better luck with 5-4-4-12 than 4-4-4-12.

tRFC: 42
tRRD: 3
Rank to Write Read Delay (tRD_WR): 8
Write to Precharge Delay: 14
Write to Read Delay (tWTR): 11