Assistance with EVGA 1080 Temps

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
I have been trying to monitor my GPU temps as best I can. Only game I am playing atm is Dead by Daylight and I absolutely CANNOT get EVGA Precision OR MSI AfterBurner overlays to work with this game. Anyways...

I have an EVGA 1080 FTW and it will usually idle around 35C-40C and while gaming I have seen temps as high as 81C (ish) (remember I essentially have to alt tab since the game won't work with overlays) and I am wondering if this is normal. I really ask because DbD shouldn't be a demanding game... like at all but I feel like it is somewhat.

Anyways, wondering what I should be expecting temp wise at load for my card. Thanks in advance.

Squeetard

Nov 13, 2004
How much is the load? My 1080 Strix will get that high above 90% gpu load, ambient air is on the hot side though. If I'm in Elder Scrolls online the temps are around 60 but GPU load is around 50%.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I bought a EVGA 1080 FE. I always water-cool my videocards, because I want a silent machine.

I bought an EKWB waterblock. I mounted it a few weeks later. Temps were disappointing. I had a gtx680 with a EKWB, idle was 27C and under load I stayed under 50C. The 1080 with exactly the same setup was 31C idle and under load temps would go up to 90C+.

I took off the EKWB. It turned out the block didn't touch the GPU properly. About 1 quarter of the GPU didn't have paste on it, after I removed the block. I'm 100% sure I put paste on the whole GPU. I used the wrong screws to mount the EKWB, so this time I used shorter screws. I reattached the block. Now temps are 30C idle and up to 75C under load. Not good.

I'm gonna remount the block again this week. Hopefully I can figure out what the problem is. I'm gonna look very carefully at the card and the chips on it, and see if anything is sticking out. I read a forum-post somewhere where someone complained that his EVGA 980 or so had some memory chips that were not all at the same level. That prevented him from mounting his waterblock properly. This might be the case on my 1080.

And maybe it's the case on your card too ? You can't remove the cooler, without losing your warranty. You could try to RMA your card, and hope that the next one you receive doesn't have the problem. I know that I am out of luck, and I have to fix it myself.

Next time no EVGA for me anymore. I'll buy an Asus card again. My gtx680, my gtx260 and previous cards were all Asus, and never had a problem. First time in years I buy something different, and immediately I have problems.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I bought a EVGA 1080 FE. I always water-cool my videocards, because I want a silent machine.

I bought an EKWB waterblock. I mounted it a few weeks later. Temps were disappointing. I had a gtx680 with a EKWB, idle was 27C and under load I stayed under 50C. The 1080 with exactly the same setup was 31C idle and under load temps would go up to 90C+.

I took off the EKWB. It turned out the block didn't touch the GPU properly. About 1 quarter of the GPU didn't have paste on it, after I removed the block. I'm 100% sure I put paste on the whole GPU. I used the wrong screws to mount the EKWB, so this time I used shorter screws. I reattached the block. Now temps are 30C idle and up to 75C under load. Not good.

I'm gonna remount the block again this week. Hopefully I can figure out what the problem is. I'm gonna look very carefully at the card and the chips on it, and see if anything is sticking out. I read a forum-post somewhere where someone complained that his EVGA 980 or so had some memory chips that were not all at the same level. That prevented him from mounting his waterblock properly. This might be the case on my 1080.

And maybe it's the case on your card too ? You can't remove the cooler, without losing your warranty. You could try to RMA your card, and hope that the next one you receive doesn't have the problem. I know that I am out of luck, and I have to fix it myself.

Next time no EVGA for me anymore. I'll buy an Asus card again. My gtx680, my gtx260 and previous cards were all Asus, and never had a problem. First time in years I buy something different, and immediately I have problems.

Woof, that has to be a mechanical issue? I picked up the EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid. Temps never exceed 51C, and it seems the thing is hard coded for that. Fan runs slower than the older Hybrid kits (trying to keep that silent appearance.). Full load 99% on Firestrike Ultra, card tops off @ 51 with ~2100mhz/5400mhz clocks, and is still relatively silent. Even turned off my main case fans to see who's louder, and my H110i GT is definitely more audible on silent mode.

I've read these GPUs are facing the same hardships Intel did with the smaller nodes. Cooling them is a chore. Glad I went with a water kit from the start.