Assassin's Creed Unity FREE to own through the 25th

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
UPlay is offering Assassin's Creed Unity free, from yesterday through the 25th..I think. 1 week

Just log into Unity and claim it to your account for free, forever.

They are offering it just as they are donating $500k to the restoration of Notre Dame. Good on them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I actually did download this last night. I've never played a single AC game ever...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I actually did download this last night. I've never played a single AC game ever...

I enjoy them, though I've put much time between each one because they can get very repetitive. I played the first one on release day for PS3, then maybe 5 or 6? years later I eventually played the 2nd one on PC. If you like the Batman action games and enjoy some conspiro-history-time displacement stuff with nice, real historical locations, you will find something to enjoy about them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The second one is probably the best one, but I'm not as fond of the second one's direct sequels (Brotherhood and Revelations). The second one fixed a lot of what was wrong with the first one, but also provided a far better story... if you ignore the weird, current day stuff.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I got AC3 free and still never played it, probably not going to even bother getting this one for free.
I enjoy them, though I've put much time between each one because they can get very repetitive. I played the first one on release day for PS3, then maybe 5 or 6? years later I eventually played the 2nd one on PC.
Partly because of this. Odyssey seems the most appealing of the ones I'm yet to play, so it will be the next one on my list.
I played the first one and the three Ezio games.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I got AC3 free and still never played it, probably not going to even bother getting this one for free.

Partly because of this. Odyssey seems the most appealing of the ones I'm yet to play, so it will be the next one on my list.
I played the first one and the three Ezio games.

I"ve enjoyed Odyssey the most...but that is with AC1, 2...and then Odyssey, lol. THen I played Origins.

I think I've had AC3 for many years as some sort of free bonus somehow, never installed it. Then got AC3 remastered with Odyssey DLC, still haven't tried it. ..but I guess I will.

Took my at least 2 or 3 years after purchasing AC2 to actually play it. But I agree with Aikuoka, it's probably the best that I've played of those. Odyssey just has more replay...endless kinda, do things for no reason and walk around a world because it's beautiful reasons.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I figured, Free? Why not give it a try...the bastards require an account...and a credit card on file to download a free game. No thanks.

never mind...right after I posted that, the link to open uplay opened and it's downloading now.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I figured, Free? Why not give it a try...the bastards require an account...and a credit card on file to download a free game. No thanks.

never mind...right after I posted that, the link to open uplay opened and it's downloading now.

that happened with some other game they were recently giving away for free...I totally forget what it was. And I already have an account, and have bought some stuff from them (UPlay forced install some years ago after buying AC2 on steam, I think), and I still didn't download it because they asked for credit card just to download it, whatever it was.

Anyway, I assume Unity is playable now? I know it's been quite a few years, but I recall that game being broke to all hell on release (never played or owned it, just that those issues were all over the nerdverse when this game released).

I thoroughly enjoyed AC2 because it was like reliving the time I was in Florence and Venice and nearby places for many months, some years ago. I would run around there and find the alleys where I used to live and walk, climb up on all the landmarks. It's really amazing the detail they put in these games--not just those famous locations, but the cities around them and how accurate the mapping is. It's crazy.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think Microsoft also requires you to provide payment information even if a game is free. It's kind of annoying, but I just give them PayPal because it's easier to manage if they try to get sneaky.

But the whole Steam + uPlay thing can be kind of weird. I've owned games on uPlay and on Steam at the same time, but they're kind of the same thing? Starting the game on Steam just unlocks it on uPlay. I can log directly into uPlay, and my Steam-purchased games are listed under my games.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I've had this from a GPU code since around original release.

I put off playing it for a few years, ended up installing it when I had my 970, and it looked and ran beautifully at 1440p. The launch time frame was a bit rough, but it's long since been patched and optimized nicely on the PC side. The console version was jankier due to it being in development before the final 8th gen specs were known, but nobody expected the CPU to be as horrible as it was, thus the original plan was far too ambitious for the hardware. Performance was terrible on PS4/X1 even after a lot of cutbacks.

9th gen era AC games on Ryzen2 as a baseline should be incredible.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I grabbed a copy. I realized that I already had a Uplay account from AC2 (purchased via Steam).

Thanks Zinfamous!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I grabbed a copy. I realized that I already had a Uplay account from AC2 (purchased via Steam).

Thanks Zinfamous!

lol, yup. That's how I learned that I had a UPlay account--purchased AC2 through Steam at some point, returned to it many years later and discovered that it would auto-load through UPlay and I had already set up an account on install (I kinda abandoned that game for a while, because I was playing the intro with KB/M, and I simply couldn't be bothered to learn or deal with the weird keyboard mapping for all of the running and secondary commands and all that. Didn't have a gamepad at the time, so just forgot about it)