Assassin's Creed PC .. getting a video problem? Maybe?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I just finished DLing/installing the Steam version of AC. Was playing around through the first mission with all the graphical settings maxed (except for multi-sampling at 1) as these were the default settings and I figured it shouldn't be a problem. Playing on a Q6600, 8800GT, 4GB RAM. Running the Nvidia 178.13's.

What I've run into seems to be a video problem. Basically any time I kill someone (this occurred when I assassinated the guard in the tutorial, the guy in the intro temple, and even the melee kills on the guards during the first mission, the templar assault defense) the video pauses during what seems to be the killing blow for maybe a full second or second and a half then continues on it's way. The audio never pauses.

It essentially seems like it's pausing for some sort of "death animation" but rather than playing it the video just freezes and then continues when then corpse hits the ground. Again, the audio here is seamless. I quickly turned post-processing off just to see what it would do and it didn't seem to have any effect. I was going to try turning down the other video settings but then I decided that Im too tired at the moment and I shouldn't even have to do that. The game runs flawlessly every other moment, no stuttering/video lag whatsoever except at these moments of death.

Anyone know anything about this type of issue, or what's going on?

<edit> I did a quick Net Search and found two small threads on other forums where posters describe the same issue with no resolution. Rather frustrating. I'd really not have to contact Steam in order to see if there's a way to return this game, but I'm not satisfied sitting with these animation freezes either.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
mines doing it on every kill, save, flag found, anything that triggers one of those lil vid change thingys like when u kill a guard or achieve osmethings. mine are usually 2-3 second pauses and its really pissing me off. i noticed it started when i went to 64 bit, but i got the 64 bit patch already.

ubersoldat47

Oct 19, 2008
DARN! same thing started happening to me yesterday..........Currently, I switched to COD4, but I really hope someone finds a solution for this one, cos i really wanna finish the game (5th assassination)....i have a 9800 gtx, same thing happening.....a brief stop only at kills, collecting flags and hiding. Tried turning down the settings, same thing happening....though i usually run the game perfectly on max settings...
HEEEEELP! :D

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I rolled back to the 169.25's and the pausing is gone. I've upgraded from the 169.25's probably 4-5 times and every time I do, I end up rolling back. Damn those trusty 169.25's.