ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not ATX size, problem?

Sherlockwing

Aug 11, 2012
So, I came across this when reading the review]for ASRock Extreme 4
The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.

I double checked data and turns out Extreme4 measures 12"X8.6" instead of regular ATX 12"X 9.6", Because it is 1" narrower, I see quite a few people claim this result in "flex" issues, even one who claim it happened to his friend. Is this because the far right side/corner of the panel will be hanging over the case without a rubber stand to support it, and if it touches the case due to outside force the whole board and everything on it will be destroyed because of shorting of circuit?

2 Questions:
1. ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 users, have you encountered problems related to this?

2. What exactly does "motherboard may flex" mean? and how likely is it to occur in this case?

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
So, I came across this when reading the review]for ASRock Extreme 4

I double checked data and turns out Extreme4 measures 12"X8.6" instead of regular ATX 12"X 9.6", Because it is 1" narrower, I see quite a few people claim this result in "flex" issues, even one who claim it happened to his friend. Is this because the far right side/corner of the panel will be hanging over the case without a rubber stand to support it, and if it touches the case due to outside force the whole board and everything on it will be destroyed because of shorting of circuit?

2 Questions:
1. ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 users, have you encountered problems related to this?

2. What exactly does "motherboard may flex" mean? and how likely is it to occur in this case?

1) i never thought it was a problem
2) the 'flex' might occur when you're attaching the ATX power cable to the mobo.
usually, the cable will be close to where the screw mount is.
in this case, its a bit further away, so it might be a little tricky in terms of manipulating force if you're detaching the cable...

Byte

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2000
Built a bunch of comps with the extreme4. shouldn't be any problem as long as you be careful when connecting power connector. You can actually use the manual as a spacer when doing that if your unsure. If your fingers aren't too big you can pinch the board as to not bend it. I've had a lot of boards that didn't reach the 3rd set of standoffs and have never had a problem.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
1) I also read about the flexing issue before I installed my extreme4, but I didn't think it was a big issue. If you are still worried, you can use the tip of your index finger to pad the empty screw point while you are pushing down the ATX power, and that will help alleviate some of the pressure.

2) I don't think flexing should be a concerning issue unless you will be plugging and unplugging the ATX power a lot of times, or pressing down with great pressure.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
The PCB will snap before you short it out by hitting the mobo backplate.

Many mobos are this size.

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
BIOSTAR TZ77B
MSI Z77A-G41

Last edited:

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Built a bunch of comps with the extreme4. shouldn't be any problem as long as you be careful when connecting power connector. You can actually use the manual as a spacer when doing that if your unsure. If your fingers aren't too big you can pinch the board as to not bend it. I've had a lot of boards that didn't reach the 3rd set of standoffs and have never had a problem.

This.

However it does make me mad it isn't full ATX size. I don't like the flex nor do I like the narrow width. However these concerns are not large enough to make me spend more money just to get a proper sized board. The Extreme4 is a great mobo for the money.

Sherlockwing

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks for the Tips guys, I think I will just install the 24 pin connector and Ram during my test boot on the Mobo Box and then leave them on the board while I bolt the board into the Case. I will detach the other end of the 24pin power connector from the PSU then reattach it since I am using a modular PSU.

Seems like this will be the easiest way for me to do it without Flex issues.