ASRock X79 Extreme9 or ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Extreme ?

Tenchy

Nov 3, 2013
Hey guys, im making my dream computer :-D

CPU : INTEL Core i7-4930K "Ivy Bridge", 6x 3.4GHz, Socket 2011
RAM : G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 16GB (2x8GB) OR CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 2x 8GB, DDR3-DIMM, PC3-17000 (2133MHz) ?
GPU : ASUS GTX780-3GD5, GeForce GTX 780, 3.0GB GDDR5
Motherboard : AsRock X79 EXTREME9 (LGA 2011, Intel X79, ATX) OR ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Extreme ???
PSU : Corsair AX Series AX860W
CPU-Cooler : Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i
Case : Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Black)
DD : 2x Samsung 840 pro, Raid 0 +2x 1To

I think this is not that bad actualy but i have some several doubt about the motherboard :-/
I take the asrock because the sound card that come with it and for the look of the board ;), and they have so many sata,, but i dont want to take this card just for some junks addin if the Rampage IV Extreme are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better.
Im not gona Overcloking this badly, maybe push to 4.5ghz but im not an uber OC fan that why i chose the asrock over the Rampage. But i cant decide  can you help me ? same for the RAM,, i totaly dont care about led on it ;). Thanks.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
The only x79 motherboard I would buy today is the ASUS x79 Deluxe. Everything else is 2 years old. The x79 Deluxe does as much as possible to make up for the age of the x79 chipset.

Last edited:

Tenchy

Nov 3, 2013
Hey, Thanks for reply !

i see, buy 2 year old stuff is not realy a good idea :).

thanks for the info. didnt mentionne that befor ..

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
IMHO,
I have a asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for a 3770K and it falls on its face with some odd behavior when trying to OC high, thought only top tier Asrock board over clocks high.
I have the Rampage IV Extreme with a 3930K, it over clocks nicely but has issue's under high OC with Sata and Raid.

You only want a mild OC, my Extreme 6 will go that high even higher on default voltage. So does the RIVE with many many options. I noticed you mentioned the high number of Sata plugs on the Asrock, which I assume is needed.

snouter

Jan 5, 2008
Im not gona Overcloking this badly, maybe push to 4.5ghz but im not an uber OC fan that why i chose the asrock over the Rampage.

I'm not much of an overclocker either. I did let the motherboard overclock with some "performance?" setting in the BIOS and it ran at 4.2GHz with no issues for a day, but I reverted back to stock since it's really my workstation computer. I assume I could have reached 4.5GHz if I tried.

The only x79 motherboard I would buy today is the ASUS x79 Deluxe. Everything else is 2 years old. The x79 Deluxe does as much as possible to make up for the age of the x79 chipset.

I just used one in my build and am quite happy with it. Well built. Has any feature I'm interested at the time - plenty of SATA and USB3 connects. Came with Wi-Fi but I did not hook that up since I'm on the wire. Audio is supposed to be a little better than what normally comes on motherboard.

Realtek ALC1150 Audio 8-Channel audio CODEC

Here are some reviews:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/09/18/asus_x79_deluxe_lga_2011_motherboard_review/#.Un5fGfmsiHY

http://techreport.com/review/25310/asus-x79-deluxe-motherboard-reviewed

Last edited: