Asrock X570 Aqua: Anandtech "Heaviest AMD Flagship Motherboard Ever"

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
(We were told that the board would be under $1000. It's something.)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1445...st-flagship-motherboard-ever-with-thunderbolt

I know the profit margins are extremely high on models like this, but how many people out there actually drop anywhere near $1k on a motherboard? And people thought Threadripper boards were pricey. o_O

IMG_20190529_101601_678x452.jpg

Reactions: lightmanek

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
IMO price is a non-issue. People want 16 cores, they have to pay for them. It doesn't really matter that the CPU is cheap. People will pair it with expensive parts (otherwise what's the point?).

I'm really worried by the designs though.
Almost all X570 mobos shown to date are obviously aimed at hardcore gaming (mostly RGB-rich) desktops. A lot of plastic covering PCB, aggressive design.

I know this is a major group among DIY desktop buyers, as most other people moved to laptops / OEM workstations / cloud, but still... I'm pretty sure there's a market for more utilitarian products...

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
@piokos I'm sure Asus will release a WS version like they have in the past. That usually has a PLX chip and dual NICs and little to no RGB.

You are right about paying the price. If you can swing $1300 for a 2080 Ti, spending $1800 for the top of the line MB, RAM and CPU seems in-line. Plus if the person is watercooling, they just don't have to spend $200 for a monoblock and chipset cooling.

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
@piokos I'm sure Asus will release a WS version like they have in the past. That usually has a PLX chip and dual NICs and little to no RGB.
Yes, ASUS has already shown their WS variant:
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/gallery/
Honestly, this has to be one of the best looking motherboards I've ever seen. I don't think specs are available yet.

But that's one of few models in a sea of RGB.
And my worry is that even the well known series changed a bit. I.e. ASRock Taichi X470 vs X570.
I wonder if Taichi for next Intel platform gets this kind of treatment as well.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
DDR4 4666? Add another $1000 for memory and a CPU... the ultimate e-Peen board for sure.

Not gonna lie though if there was a black/red variant I would be sobbing in want mode

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't much like the fact that it tries to integrate a CPU block in the package. Someone who already has a good CPU block obviously does not need that feature, and there are probably some CPU blocks out there better than whatever the Aqua can accomplish on its own.

A board with a more-modest monoblock for VRMs + chipset would suffice.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

piokos

Nov 2, 2018
I don't much like the fact that it tries to integrate a CPU block in the package.
I'd imagine they're aiming this at people who haven't tried custom water yet - AiO at most.
this way they'll get an integrated block - always one part to care about less.
To be honest, I'd love to see cases with integrated radiators. For me that would be the only argument to try watercooling.

Of course the most hardcore overclockers will want a custom block. I expect ASRock to offer a block-less variant of this motherboard (maybe even more high-end).

Anyway, so they bundle a block. Can you get a better one? Sure.
You can also get better integrated audio and ethernet chips, better capacitors, better chipset cooler, more physically robust parts (e.g. PCIe slots).
It's a motherboard: a PCB with majority of functional elements of your PC. Until someone offers configurable (modular?) motherboards, there will always be compromises. A slightly sub-par waterblock is surely not the worst one. ;-)

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I don't much like the fact that it tries to integrate a CPU block in the package. Someone who already has a good CPU block obviously does not need that feature, and there are probably some CPU blocks out there better than whatever the Aqua can accomplish on its own.

A board with a more-modest monoblock for VRMs + chipset would suffice.
I wouldn't be too sure. The Bitspower monoblock for my Rampage cleanly outperformed the standalone Swiftech and EK blocks I used before the monoblock was available. The monoblock will be as good or as bad as whoever they contract it out to. Unlikely they would tool up to make this themselves for 1K units.
I'll likely buy one of these if I decide to do a build and I can snag one. I'm not really wanting to but my son's system is getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I wouldn't be too sure. The Bitspower monoblock for my Rampage cleanly outperformed the standalone Swiftech and EK blocks I used before the monoblock was available. The monoblock will be as good or as bad as whoever they contract it out to. Unlikely they would tool up to make this themselves for 1K units.
I'll likely buy one of these if I decide to do a build and I can snag one. I'm not really wanting to but my son's system is getting long in the tooth.

Asus is at it again with the Crosshair VIII Formula, which (to me) looks like it should be more practical at least than the Aqua. If you can call that practical. It would be interesting if the Aqua's CPU block could outperform stuff like the HeatKiller IV. Doubt it'll do that, though.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Asus is at it again with the Crosshair VIII Formula, which (to me) looks like it should be more practical at least than the Aqua. If you can call that practical. It would be interesting if the Aqua's CPU block could outperform stuff like the HeatKiller IV. Doubt it'll do that, though.

Disappointed with the formula as it doesn't cover the chipset, even if not as fancy as the Asrock board. Paying close to $500 probably and still using a fan for cooling seems half baked.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Disappointed with the formula as it doesn't cover the chipset, even if not as fancy as the Asrock board. Paying close to $500 probably and still using a fan for cooling seems half baked.

Is it VRMs only? Okay, that is pretty weak. Argh now I'm not sure which board to get.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Is it VRMs only? Okay, that is pretty weak. Argh now I'm not sure which board to get.
Well, the nice thing about the top end Asus boards is you can purchase them being pretty much assured that a full coverage water cooled solution will be available from someone, if not immediately, very soon after.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well, the nice thing about the top end Asus boards is you can purchase them being pretty much assured that a full coverage water cooled solution will be available from someone, if not immediately, very soon after.

The tricky piece there is that the Formula has a couple extra features over the lower Hero versions like 10Gbe. So if you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for their monoblock and then pull it off for hopefully a monoblock+chipset block. At that point, a $500 mb turns into $700+ which starts getting you closer to the Asrock one. Still save $300 but it's a combination of parts with different warranties.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The tricky piece there is that the Formula has a couple extra features over the lower Hero versions like 10Gbe. So if you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for their monoblock and then pull it off for hopefully a monoblock+chipset block. At that point, a $500 mb turns into $700+ which starts getting you closer to the Asrock one. Still save $300 but it's a combination of parts with different warranties.

Right. If I can learn to live without the 10GB NIC then I can, for example, get the Hero (same VRM?) to save money and buy a monoblock afterwards. Or I can go after the Gigabyte instead for "only" $600 for 14 phases at 70a each and that big plate on the chipset. Or or or . . .

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Right. If I can learn to live without the 10GB NIC then I can, for example, get the Hero (same VRM?) to save money and buy a monoblock afterwards. Or I can go after the Gigabyte instead for "only" $600 for 14 phases at 70a each and that big plate on the chipset. Or or or . . .

I know on the latest Intel ones, the Hero, Code and Formula all used the same VRM and would expect these to be similar. Hopefully they corrected some of the VRM mistakes.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well to be on the fair side lets just compare the parts..

1. the board itself should be a high end board, so i am assuming ~ 499.99-549.99 for the motherboard, it has 10G nic.. so its obviously not going to be cheap.
2. The cpu / mosfet block itself ~ 150
3. Board block ~ 150
4. RGB LEDs - 1 billion dollars *putting pinky on the corner of the lip*

So (ignoring 4 for obvious reasons) 499 + 300 = 799 dollar board.
Realistically its a 800-850 dollar board...
1000 dollar board is probably aimed at the intel enthusiast who are migrating over to AMD, as were like meh, 2000 dollar cpu... OK~ BUY!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
1000 dollar board is probably aimed at the intel enthusiast who are migrating over to AMD, as were like meh, 2000 dollar cpu... OK~ BUY!

Board OEMs are making up the system cost difference between Intel and AMD. So while AMD is kind enough to offer us the 3900x for "only" $499 . . . yeah, you get the idea. ASRock isn't alone.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I guess the waiting game for the 3950X begins......

I must admit, I'm kind of disappointed it turned out to be silver as it appeared to be white in the early promo photos. The later ones it was hard to tell but I was getting the feeling they were silver with the lighting making them appear that they could be white. I have a set of silver Trident Z Royal coming anyway, so they will look good together I suppose.

rtn8XhU.jpg

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Has anyone confirmed what the VRM setup is on this board yet? It would be pretty sad if some $380 (or less) boards wound up with better VRMs than this thing.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
14 power phase, I've seen no details as to specifics on the design though. Probably the same as the Creator board if you find anything on it.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Hmm. I wonder how many of the boards will go out as review samples?
No idea, but I don't think the press/show/review board are counted in the 999 units. Reason being the only "review sample" I've seen wasn't marked like mine 319/999, I can't remember exactly but it was marked with a code such as B41 or something like that. I might be able to find the photo later.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
You know what, I just noticed the board Anandtech received had Anandtech printed on it. So I guess all review samples are marked to the entity destined to receive them.