Question ASRock X399 Taichi with Startech U.2 drive to PCIe host adapter crashes Win11

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have Kingston U.2 DC1000M 3.84TB that I'm trying to add to my system. The ASRock MB does have their own propritary header for an add-on device to add a drive like this, but it says it would disable M2 slot 1.

So I purchased a Startech U.2 PCIe x4 host adapter. I installed the drive onto it and then tried all PCIe slots. The BIOS sees the drive fine. But Windows 11 which is installed on another boot drive, now crashes. It crashes no matter what slot I install this drive into. I remove the PCIe card and Windows 11 repairs itself and boots fine.

I'm unsure why it is crashing. Startech says no drivers needed but the default OS drivers built-in. There is a jumper on the card that says it changes the timing, if you have an older U2 drive. I tried that, but then the BIOS doesnt see the drive at all.

Are there any BIOS settings I need to change to get this x4 card to work on this board?

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
After a couple hours I found the fix. Windows device manager had listed "AMD RAID BOTTOM DEVICE". I was like WTH is that? So I looked into the driver of it, and the other option was "Standard NVME". So I chose that, and now Windows is fine. Issue solved.

Reactions: bigboxes

ASK THE COMMUNITY