Asrock Transformer P67 mobo

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Saw some info and vids on this mobo and was curious if anyone is using their 1156 cpu in this mobo. Nicce idea to get the new chipset features on an 1156 cpu.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
You cannot use an 1156 socket CPU in the new P67/H67 boards, which are 1155 socket. 1156 uses chipsets H55/H57, P55, P57 and Q57 (business oriented).

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
I applaud Asrock for this effort and it's really something up their alley, but in the end, it just seems a waste of money to upgrade to this.

Many people have P55 mobo's with usb3 and sata3. Are you really desperate to get pci-e 2.0 lanes from the southbridge instead of 1.1? Sure, you get native sata3, but do you really need that? Not if you're using a regular hdd or sata II ssd. Ok, you got a crucial sata3 ssd you say, well that might be a reason since they don't work optimally on some Marvell controllers. Although as an os drive it works fine if you plug it into the ich10 sataII ports. If you have a P55 mobo without usb3/sata3 you're probably much better off buying a separate usb3/sata3 add-in card.

But it's a nice idea and if you think it's a cool board, go ahead buy it. Otherwise the only real use I see is as a replacement of a dead P55 board and you want to keep your existing cpu.

Last edited:

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
From what I've seen, its the USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB that receive the main benfit on this mobo. I'm running an SSD on a value Gigabyte H55 mobo and it only has 2 DIMMs for ram so I've been considering this mobo.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Well, I was comparing against a regular P55 mobo. But in your case it might be interesting, especially if you have sata3 ssd. It's one of the cheaper boards around and seems to offer good value. The alternative is the Asrock P55 PRO/USB3 which is slightly cheaper but no sata3. But for about 10$ more I would definitely go with the transformer. Asus/Gigabyte/MSI don't seem to offer same value in this bracket.

Still, in your situation I would have a hard time deciding if it was worth it. Maybe it's better to sell your current mobo+cpu and upgrade the cpu as well.

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
I got this cpu and a nice Asus P55 mobo on a great black Friday sale but the mobo died within 3 days so I ended up with my current H55 mobo. Quite happy with the performance but am disliking the ram limit of two DIMMs and since my SSD is sata2 I didn't see much reason to upgrade yet. Maybe Bulldozer will impress enough for that.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
If it's just the ram slots you're worried about I wouldn't upgrade now. Do it when you really need more than 4GB. Also, it would probably be cheaper to sell current ram and just get 2x4GB modules.

Another benefit of a small mATX board is low idle powerdraw. The Asrock will probably give you a higher overclock but power draw increases rapidly around 3.8GHz.

perdomot

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2004
Don't think I need more ram although Firefox is a hog. Used up 1.3GB of ram one time. Just kinda peeved that I'm using a mobo that might be limiting my OC although the difference between 4.0 and my current 3.6Ghz really doesn't justify the added expense.