AsRock TaiChi and AMD Threadripper 2950x?

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm planning to upgrade my 1900x to the 2950x. Anyone using the new AMD 2950x in this board? Any issues with power or anything?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I assume you are talking about the X399 Taichi?

If so, the 2950X is listed in the support list, just make sure to update to BIOS 3.10; this board is plenty capable of delivering adequate power to the 2nd gen TR chip.

Reactions: lightmanek

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
MarkFW would be the one to ask about that combo, he’s definitely one of the most experienced members here when it comes to x399.

As for that board, as a prior owner I can tell you that it is one of the best boards I’ve worked with. It will handle a 2950x no worries, just make sure that bios is updated.

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
The board is not without it's problems though. Mine won't POST some times when i turn my system on. Fans spin up, no kb/mouse power, nothing on my LCD monitor. I have to hold down power button to power off, then back on again. And most of the time it will then POST. But sometimes takes a couple tries. I'm not sure what is causing that but never had the issue with other boards inside my current case.

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
What memory are you using?
Corsair vengeance PC 3200 4*16GB =64GB total. Downclocked to around 2900MHz which is the max it will run out stability when doing a memory stress test in win 10.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've had a similar issue on other Ryzen boards, where the computer starts but the POST doesn't completely finish and just hangs up. I believe it ended up being a USB 3.0 device like an external hard drive but it doesn't occur very often. I've looked in the BIOS and there isn't anything that stands out as an obvious culprit.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Sounds like it could be a memory training issue. Try running memory within JEDEC spec and see if that solves it, you may be on the edge of stability. Close enough to the edge that it fails to post of the memory trains too aggressively.

Reactions: Campy

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sounds like it could be a memory training issue. Try running memory within JEDEC spec and see if that solves it, you may be on the edge of stability. Close enough to the edge that it fails to post of the memory trains too aggressively.
I'm under spec with my memory timings and the memory speed. This memory should be more then capable to post at a lower speed of 2900mhz. I didn't pay extra for 3200mhz memory to have to loosen timings and run it way under spec. This board may just not like the memory even though it's on the compatible memory list. I wonder what would happen if I put four more sticks for total of 128gb? Would I need to slow the memory down even further? If so that's ridiculous.

This issue of adding more memory which slows down the speed has been around computers since the beginning. I wish engineers would come out with some new technology that would allow you to fill all slots of memory without reducing speed.

This issue is happening at least once a day when I power on the system. I'm at the point of replacing this board with another brand like the Gigante X399.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I wonder what would happen if I put four more sticks for total of 128gb? Would I need to slow the memory down even further? If so that's ridiculous.
Physics.
This issue of adding more memory which slows down the speed has been around computers since the beginning. I wish engineers would come out with some new technology that would allow you to fill all slots of memory without reducing speed.
Hey, I wish for perpetual motion. Let's all get together and legislate it!

Reactions: MrCoyote

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
So I've been having another issue with this board. Sometimes it won't POST. The onboard LEDs show code 63, which is Chipset Initialization error. I'm not overclocking. Running a 1900x at stock speeds, with 64GB PC3200 downclocked to 2900MHz. It happens almost every day now. Have the latest BIOS 3.30, released in August. When it doesn't POST, the fans turn on, and I get no display, no KB/MS power either. I have to hold down power button to hard power down. Then power up again, and then it usually POST's. Sometimes it takes two tries, and sometimes my Nvidia 1080ti won't display anything on my third monitor. So I have to unplug the damn thing and back again. Then restart the PC.

This board is probably my first and last ASRock. It's past returning, so now I'm thinking of just selling it and buy a Gigabyte X399 or something.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
If you are running the RAM outside of JEDEC specs then you are overclocking. Again, I’d ask that you try running your ram within JEDEC specs as a troubleshooting measure, not necessarily as a solution.

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you are running the RAM outside of JEDEC specs then you are overclocking. Again, I’d ask that you try running your ram within JEDEC specs as a troubleshooting measure, not necessarily as a solution.
Overlooking is increasing the speed of the ram and CPU. I am doing neither. I decreased the speed of ram to get it stable. How is that running it outside of the specs? It won't post otherwise when ran at default timings and speed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Overlooking is increasing the speed of the ram and CPU. I am doing neither. I decreased the speed of ram to get it stable.
No, it's still overclocked (the RAM). The ratings that RAM mfgs give their sticks, are OVERCLOCKED (aka XMP) ratings. The only non-overclocked ratings, are the JEDEC spec speeds.

So, when you buy DDR4-3200 RAM, and put it into the mobo, WITHOUT SETTING XMP (make sure that the mobo doesn't do it automatically for you), then generally, it will default to DDR4-2133 or 2400. Those are JEDEC speeds.

(If you NEED to select XMP or AMD UEFI equivalent settings, to get the "full" speed of the RAM, then IT IS OVERCLOCKED RAM.)

That's not to say, that needing to set XMP, is somehow bad, or abnormal, for an enthusiast rig. Just be aware, that XMP == "overclocked RAM".

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
No, it's still overclocked (the RAM). The ratings that RAM mfgs give their sticks, are OVERCLOCKED (aka XMP) ratings. The only non-overclocked ratings, are the JEDEC spec speeds.

So, when you buy DDR4-3200 RAM, and put it into the mobo, WITHOUT SETTING XMP (make sure that the mobo doesn't do it automatically for you), then generally, it will default to DDR4-2133 or 2400. Those are JEDEC speeds.

(If you NEED to select XMP or AMD UEFI equivalent settings, to get the "full" speed of the RAM, then IT IS OVERCLOCKED RAM.)

That's not to say, that needing to set XMP, is somehow bad, or abnormal, for an enthusiast rig. Just be aware, that XMP == "overclocked RAM".
Ahh yes. When I first installed the ram it was at default 2400MHz. Even at that speed the board still wouldn't post sometimes. So I doubt it's this ram. I took out all but one stick last night and dropped it down to 2400 and still it wouldn't post occasionally. Swapped out DIMMs. No change. So i doubt it's the memory at this point. Something with this board. Anyway I'm probably selling this board and replacing it. Will try a different brand. This board has too many issues. It's advertised to run with 3600MHz ram. They shouldn't advertise that if it doesn't even post with it.

And who runs their memory at 2400MHz these days?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
And who runs their memory at 2400MHz these days?
Well, I do, when I went from 16GB (2x8GB) to 32GB (4x8GB). I have two sets of two kits each, both Team Vulcan, two kits of 2400, and two kits of 3000. The 3000 kit runs at 2933 in my ASRock AB350M Pro4, with newer UEFI. Well, when filling all four slots, guess what I have to set it to to POST? Yep, 2400. So it doesn't matter if the RAM is 2400 rated, or 3000 rated, with 4x8GB of the stuff in there, it only runs at 2400. At least I have 32GB.

That's with Ryzen 1st-gen CPUs (1000-series), and not TR or TR2.

MrCoyote

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sorry you have to run your RAM so slow. 2400MHz won't quite be fast enough for my needs. I built this workstation as a dedicated DaVinci Resolve workstation with an Nvidia 1080ti for color grading films. No games or anything else. I built it for professional business purposes. So I need something that works and 2400mhz is not fast enough when working with the huge video files I have to deal with. The 4k and 6k files I deal with are huge and require fast memory. DaVinci Resolve slows down when memory set that slow. BlackMagic actually recommends 3200Mhz minimum. I was hoping the board could run at that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
BlackMagic actually recommends 3200Mhz minimum. I was hoping the board could run at that.
That seems ... a little more than odd, considering that "officially", the AMD Ryzen CPUs, thus far, support up to 2933 on the IMC.

And then, you have a third-party application vendor, telling people that they HAVE TO OVERCLOCK THEIR RAM, AT A MINIMUM, to use their app? Sounds like non-sense to me.

Sure that they didn't say you needed PC-3200 RAM? That's like DDR2-800.

3200Mhz DDR4, would be DDR4-6400 speed, it doesn't exist yet. So you're obviously reading something wrong, somewhere.

Edit: Perhaps I should clarify what I wrote. You seem to be confusing DRAM terminology, as it applies to the PC.

The "PC" number for RAM, is usually 8x the rating. The rating, is 2x the actual clock speed (in Mhz).

So, DDR4-2400 RAM, is 1200Mhz RAM, and has a bandwidth of PC4-19200.

A hypothetical DDR4 3200Mhz would be DDR4-6400, or PC4-51200. Waaay beyond what exists nowadays. So I think that you are clearly mis-reading the requirements.

Last edited:

mblataric

Nov 23, 2018
I assume you are talking about the X399 Taichi?

If so, the 2950X is listed in the support list, just make sure to update to BIOS 3.10; this board is plenty capable of delivering adequate power to the 2nd gen TR chip.

I am thinking about getting 2950X and ASRock X399 Taichi, but can you update the bios with new CPU (will it boot with new CPU to update BIOS) or do you need older CPU to update the BIOS?

Thanks!