Question ASRock Memory Compatibility Question

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Hello all, I'm about to start a new build. However, I had a memory question that I was hoping someone can help me out with. On ASRock's memory compatibility website, it lists the Corsair memory serial number as "CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18 ver3.31". However, on Newegg, the same memory that is available on their website only lists it as "CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18". Am I save ordering this memory or do I need to get the ver3.31 of that same memory also? Links and the motherboard that I want to pair the memory with are at the bottom. Thanks for any help.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I would think that set should work fine with being so close to the actual recommended part #.

Not that you shouldn't follow/use it, but I have not even looked at the memory compatibility lists for mobos in years (at least 8+). I stick to only a few brands for mobos, and a few brands for RAM. I have not had a pairing be incompatible since Windows XP days.

I have this same mobo (AsRock Z690M-ITX/ax) with an i5-12600K. I paired it with Corsair RAM, but a different model:

Do you want/"need" the RGB on the modules? This set I linked is almost the same price and is twice the RAM. It works perfectly in mine. I can't say if the actual chips are the same between them, but both the set that you linked and the one I linked, have the same speed and latency. They would perform the same in the system. Mine just doesn't have the RGB lighting.

Reactions: Aolish

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Wow, that's a great bargain. I just find it a little weird that it isn't on the compatibility list. I will seriously consider your recommendation though. Thanks for the help! :)

EDIT: I had another question, I understand this motherboard has a bios flashback option according to what some of the AnandTech members here had already said. Can this flash be done without the CPU installed or do you have to have one installed? Also, is there a way to check what bios version this motherboard has before doing the flashback? Do they perhaps have the bios version somewhere on the box, label, manual, or anywhere else where we can know what bios this board ships with?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
QVL lists are just preferred/tested by each mobo company.

The bios version is usually printed near the UPC. Flashback varies by vendor but in most cases you don't need the CPU installed to do so.

I use an ASR board as well for the features at a lower price. In the use manual it tells you how to do it. Assuming you're planning a RPL in a 690 vs paying more for the 790.

Reactions: Aolish and Pohemi