Question Asrock launches motherboard ryzen workstation. Does it mean that AMD Ryzen officially supports ECC?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ryzen PRO processors and APUs, support ECC. (Edit for Mark, I should have said "officially". Unofficially, they all still have ECC functionality Enabled. But only the PRO processors are "validated" for ECC usage. Think of it like a CYA warranty for workstation vendors.) (Those processors, AFAIK, utilize the same dies as the non-PRO versions, only they have extended testing / validation, to make sure that the ECC is working and whatnot.) Used for professional workstations.

I don't believe that the Ryzen PRO processors are available retail-boxed, which may be why you've never seen them. They are intended (AFAIK), to be integrated by workstation OEMs, and are purchased in bulk / tray form.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek and cbn

FredeBR

Mar 4, 2019
See that on the site of AMD both Ryzen, as Ryzen PRO and APU PRO does not report on ECC support, only Threadripper. I have not found a review on the internet demonstrating ryzen ECC support, recognized by the operating system or applications that show this. If anyone knows please indicate the site link.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
See that on the site of AMD both Ryzen, as Ryzen PRO and APU PRO does not report on ECC support, only Threadripper. I have not found a review on the internet demonstrating ryzen ECC support, recognized by the operating system or applications that show this. If anyone knows please indicate the site link.

It is a unmarketed feature of Ryzen. To market Ryzen has having ECC support it puts pressure on the OEM's and board manufacturers to validate their products for ECC usage. "Official" ECC support is up to the board validators.

Level 1 reviewed and played with ECC support in Ryzen gen 1 all the way back at launch.

FredeBR

Mar 4, 2019
Both Hardwarecanucks - Author: MAC, as Level1Techs do not guarantee the effective operation of ECC, they are only experiments with indications of ECC functioning, so much so that the authors do not confirm the effective functioning functionality of ECC, and MAC mentions further that the implementation of ECC is incomplete. Let's wait and see if AMD changes its official ECC support policy with motherboard manufacturers, at least by creating a line for Ryzen workstation / server for retail. It seems that launching AsRock's X470D4U may be indicative. If AMD finally gets a PRO line giving ECC official support we would finally have a competitor to the Xeon E line.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Both Hardwarecanucks - Author: MAC, as Level1Techs do not guarantee the effective operation of ECC, they are only experiments with indications of ECC functioning, so much so that the authors do not confirm the effective functioning functionality of ECC, and MAC mentions further that the implementation of ECC is incomplete. Let's wait and see if AMD changes its official ECC support policy with motherboard manufacturers, at least by creating a line for Ryzen workstation / server for retail. It seems that launching AsRock's X470D4U may be indicative. If AMD finally gets a PRO line giving ECC official support we would finally have a competitor to the Xeon E line.
So you registered on this site just to say that AMD has no ECC support ? What is it you are saying ?

Reactions: Drazick

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Something is not clicking here. AMD offers a CPU with ECC in Ryzen. It is an un advertised support so that it becomes up to board manufacturers to support the feature rather then be pressured by it being an advertised feature. Some board manufacturers enabled the feature for enthusiasts without validation but the functionality is still there. This board advertises itself as server board and advertises the functionality. I don't know if its validated, but lets assume it is because "server". Isn't this exactly what you are asking for? AMD is never going to call Ryzen a server chip, they are not going to make a third Ryzen lineup just for the 1% that would want to do this and if it did it would cost more then normal Ryzen and people would still just want to use base Ryzen for whatever tasks you are talking about. Again it's always on the OEM's and board manufacturers to validate and officially support ECC not AMD.

Reactions: lightmanek

FredeBR

Mar 4, 2019
So you registered on this site just to say that AMD has no ECC support ? What is it you are saying ?
First, I use gogle translator to translate my texts into English, and as the tool is not perfect in the grammatic part, it should probably come out with errors. Answering your biased question, I did not enter here in this forum to advertise that ryzen does not have ECC. I've been following this site for a long time, and my question is precisely to know from the people who know and follow AMD to understand why the company does not give official support to ECC, like Threadripper. Questioning that is being answered by several members of the forum. I hope you've understood it.

FredeBR

Mar 4, 2019
Something is not clicking here. AMD offers a CPU with ECC in Ryzen. It is an un advertised support so that it becomes up to board manufacturers to support the feature rather then be pressured by it being an advertised feature. Some board manufacturers enabled the feature for enthusiasts without validation but the functionality is still there. This board advertises itself as server board and advertises the functionality. I don't know if its validated, but lets assume it is because "server". Isn't this exactly what you are asking for? AMD is never going to call Ryzen a server chip, they are not going to make a third Ryzen lineup just for the 1% that would want to do this and if it did it would cost more then normal Ryzen and people would still just want to use base Ryzen for whatever tasks you are talking about. Again it's always on the OEM's and board manufacturers to validate and officially support ECC not AMD.
I understood that ryzen's ECC is for enthusiasts and its official implementation (like Threadripper) depends on the market demand and costs and the motherboard manufacturers. So I am following this AsRock board which is the first one I see that is directed to the workstation and entry server class. Because when you perform work in this server area and mathematical simulations the ECC is an essential functionality to avoid errors.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I understood that ryzen's ECC is for enthusiasts and its official implementation (like Threadripper) depends on the market demand and costs and the motherboard manufacturers. So I am following this AsRock board which is the first one I see that is directed to the workstation and entry server class. Because when you perform work in this server area and mathematical simulations the ECC is an essential functionality to avoid errors.

Agreed. I just don't understand where you are coming from with
If AMD finally gets a PRO line giving ECC official support
It has support. It is official. Its just not marketed because those platforms aren't intended for "Server" use and therefore it doesn't make sense to market it and put pressure on board manufacturers to validate boards that aren't really targeted at this usage. Asrock decided to and past boards have enabled the feature for enthusiasts. This board is what you want.

The Pro line is supposed to be a general use or simple workstation CPU and it's competitor is Core i's with Vpro. Not a Xeon competitor.

Your desire doesn't make sense if the support is there. A board with the validation is there and there is little need for yet another product line for an absolutely low volume niche usage.

Reactions: Markfw