• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question ASRock Instant Flash not seeing update file on USB

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Guys,

At Crucial's suggestion, I'm attempting to flash ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 board from 1.4 to 1.7, to address flakiness in XMP2. When I first fired up the board, I was able to update flash from from 1.2 to 1.4 via Instant Flash.

My system (Ryzen 5 3600, 2x8 Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200, WD SN 550 NVMe SSD, Radeon RX 560 4GB) is up and running fine, with the exception that XMP setting causes screen flickering and black outs. Crucial tech support suggested updating BIOS. If that doesn't address, they suggested the age-old process of running with 1 memory stick. What's interesting is I can go into UEFI and manually set the memory speed to 3200, and the system is stable.

Now my issue. I d/l'ed the 1.7 BIOS file, and put it on a thumb drive, formatted to exFAT (only option, besides NTFS). On two different thumb drives I get the message "no file detected on USB." I have Fast Boot disabled, and tried w/ Secure Boot both enabled and disabled. Same result, Instant Flash doesn't see the file on the thumb drive.

I'm sure I'm missing some setting in UEFI that's not letting the flash go forward. What might that be£ Looking forward to hearing what I'm missing, as a UEFI newbie.

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Iron Woode, thank for the reply. I've formatted to FAT32 via Rufus, and will give the BIOS update a try after lunch.

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just completed BIOS/UEFI update to 1.7. Thanks again Iron Woode for the direction. Now to see if update allows XMP2 to behave.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Just completed BIOS/UEFI update to 1.7. Thanks again Iron Woode for the direction. Now to see if update allows XMP2 to behave.
I am getting the same issue on my Asrock B450 mITX board and 3600mhz ram.

My solution was to not use XMP but simply set the ram speed to 2933 rather than 3600 and it runs stable.

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Iron Woode, that was my experience. I asked the sales guy at Microcenter if the Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 (2 x 8GB) posted at 2133. I tried XMP2, and got nothing but flakiness. I too was able to manually set the memory speed, to 3200, and it worked fine. Crucial tech support suggested updating the BIOS, and that's when I ran into the thumb drive issue. I updated the BIOS this afternoon, and new default speed is 2933. I'm not in the mood to fuss with BIOS settings today, but will get around to it early next week.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Iron Woode, that was my experience. I asked the sales guy at Microcenter if the Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 (2 x 8GB) posted at 2133. I tried XMP2, and got nothing but flakiness. I too was able to manually set the memory speed, to 3200, and it worked fine. Crucial tech support suggested updating the BIOS, and that's when I ran into the thumb drive issue. I updated the BIOS this afternoon, and new default speed is 2933. I'm not in the mood to fuss with BIOS settings today, but will get around to it early next week.
the obvious reason for the issue is that the XMP timings are making the board unhappy. There's not much that can be done about that short of Asrock making the BIOS more compatible with the ram available on the market.

Of course you can always try tweaking the ram settings and hope for stability.

Reactions: Shmee

scineram

Nov 1, 2020
I am getting the same issue on my Asrock B450 mITX board and 3600mhz ram.

My solution was to not use XMP but simply set the ram speed to 2933 rather than 3600 and it runs stable.
I have that same board. Even if it gets Cezanne support which I doubt, I might still get an A520 for the faster memory.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I have that same board. Even if it gets Cezanne support which I doubt, I might still get an A520 for the faster memory.
there are newer mITX boards both A520 and B550.

I use mine for my HTPC with an R3 2200G.

Feb 4, 2009
Just updated to 3.6 bios, zero problems using the ez flash method. Finally recognizes my Crucial Ballistic memory and has more aggressive timings than what crucial advertised. Chipset fan seems to have more settings too however it did spin up a bit more while gaming but it is still barely audible over the other fans.
I am pretty happy with this so far.

Jeff H

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Iron Woode, late last week I updated BIOS on ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 board from 1.7 to 1.8. Didn't get around to setting XMP until this morning.
Unlike under BIOS 1.7 (flickering, black screens), BIOS verison 1.8 let me enable XMP w/o an issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY