Question Asrock Fatal1ty H270M replacement?

pcswig13

Dec 12, 2013
I have a 3 year old build with an Asrock Fatal1ty H270M board. It has 4 DIMM slots, and after attempting to add 2 new TeamGroup DIMMs, it randomly boots/not boots. Last time i got it to boot using only the 2 original DIMMs (TeamGroup 4gb DDR4 2400), i noticed that it only recognized half the memory, i.e. there was 8gb physically installed, but only 4gb recognized. Now it's stopped booting. I think maybe one or two of the DIMM slots have failed somehow. The fans come on, but no beep codes, and no video. I have tried many combinations of the 4 DIMM slots and memory sticks, but can't find a consistent pattern such that it boots regularly. And now, no boot at all.
Am I looking at replacing the mobo now? If so, suggestions for a replacement for the H270 chipset? I am running an i7-770K (no OC needed).
Thanks

Last edited:

pcswig13

Dec 12, 2013
After more working with this, I ended up clearing the CMOS, and that cleared this up. The owner of the machine swore he did not change any BIOS settings before bringing it to me, but something changed somewhere. Prior to clearing, I reviewed the BIOS settings and everything regarding the RAM setup was set to "AUTO". The board now recognizes all the installed RAM and it's working fine.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
After more working with this, I ended up clearing the CMOS, and that cleared this up. The owner of the machine swore he did not change any BIOS settings before bringing it to me, but something changed somewhere. Prior to clearing, I reviewed the BIOS settings and everything regarding the RAM setup was set to "AUTO". The board now recognizes all the installed RAM and it's working fine.
new ram can cause odd issues. It's the nature of PC building.

Just make sure the ram is running at the speed it's supposed to be at.