ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Problem (or a memory problem maybe)

neubee

Jan 3, 2012
I just put together a new build that has

• ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
  • CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)
  • i5 2500k
  • XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9)
The system won't POST, and I'm not sure why.

The motherboard has a debug code thing on it and whenever I try to boot the system it displays code 2E which stands for "Memory Initialization. Configuring Memory". I've tried using both sticks at the same time, and each of them individually and I always get stuck on the same code.

I haven't been able to test it with different memory yet.

Any ideas about why I would be having this problem?

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Hi neubee,

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I can rule out that XMS3 memory works because thats what I have. Try 1 stick of memory and swap between those sticks. Also, Take out the CPU and check the pins and reinstall if everything looks good.

Crap Daddy

May 6, 2011
Try one stick in any of the 4 slots available. Make sure the 24 pin connector to the mobo is properly connected (disconect-connect)

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
Hi neubee,

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I can rule out that XMS3 memory works because thats what I have. Try 1 stick of memory and swap between those sticks. Also, Take out the CPU and check the pins and reinstall if everything looks good.

Before you do anything make sure your power connections are secure. The 24 pin-ATX supply being on the edge of the board is more difficult then usual because of the middle of the board doesn't have a screw to be connected to an ATX case on the right side of the board. Hope that makes sense. But check the connection anyways make sure the clip is secure and you should be good to go there.

If this doesn't change anything, try the above comments or try hitting the clr cmos button. On the back panel. AND if that doesn't work pull the cmos battery and wait 45 mins or so.

Yes, I built that exact system last night and it fired up without a hitch. Just noticed the flex in the board around the 24-ATX pins. Check all your other power connections while your at it too though.

neubee

Jan 3, 2012
I was able to test the system with a stick of my friends memory. The system was able to boot with no problems with the new memory in it. I updated the bios and then switched the memory back to mine but I got the same error as before.

So it seems to me that I either got two bad sticks of memory (which would be pretty unlikely), or the board just doesn't like the memory I have. Although, I don't know why the board wouldn't like my memory, I've seen a few people like SLK who have the same setup.

Note:
I did not boot to an OS (there was no OS to boot to) with my friends memory, I only got into the bios (which I could not do before).

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
I am betting a bad batch of RAM but I bet your XMS3 memory is probably 1.5v where mine is 1.65 native RAM (Purchased early in 2011) so they actually might use different chips.